Why is history class screwed over?

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
'Teaching [history] should equip pupils to ask perceptive questions, think critically, reckon with evidence, sift arguments, and develop perspective and judgement.'

That has got to be employable.

I agree. The views I was expressing were not my own, but the kind of questions that are often raised about the value of teaching history, and I was trying to to show why some people don't see a value in history.

I see a value in history, and an interest, which is why I am in this forum. The greatest justification for teaching history is "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." "Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It." Really?.

If we don't study history, we won't learn from it and we will repeat the same mistakes, not improving matters. Only by studying history can we hope to make improvements.

And because history can be controversial, that is not a justification for not teaching it. Simply because a subject is hard to teach, does not mean it is not important to teach. I understand why many schools might shy away from teaching it, but that does not mean the schools are right to do so.

It is easy for us today to say "We would never do such terrible things" when we read about atrocities of the past, but once one understands the full circumstances, you can often see how people could make such bad decisions, and how we today could be making equally bad decisions.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
It's said that those who forget history are bound to repeat it. So no problem. If you don't know any history, just wait a while and it will repeat. :upsidedown:

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
I agree. The views I was expressing were not my own, but the kind of questions that are often raised about the value of teaching history, and I was trying to to show why some people don't see a value in history.

I see a value in history, and an interest, which is why I am in this forum. The greatest justification for teaching history is "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." "Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It." Really?.

If we don't study history, we won't learn from it and we will repeat the same mistakes, not improving matters. Only by studying history can we hope to make improvements.

And because history can be controversial, that is not a justification for not teaching it. Simply because a subject is hard to teach, does not mean it is not important to teach. I understand why many schools might shy away from teaching it, but that does not mean the schools are right to do so.

It is easy for us today to say "We would never do such terrible things" when we read about atrocities of the past, but once one understands the full circumstances, you can often see how people could make such bad decisions, and how we today could be making equally bad decisions.
I'm generally not that fond of this argument, but Bart is changing my mind here.

The value of learning history is that it's a highly transferable skill set that can contribute towards building a better world, or at least not making it a worse place. History teaches you to look through the eyes of others in radically different contexts and understand why the things they did made sense at the time. It also teaches how to examine historical material in its context, and the sorts of questions it forces one to ask about any sort of information is applicable everyday, everywhere.

Jun 2013
Connecticut
History has no value. The return-on-investment is practically nill compared to the other social sciences. The social sciences fit in because they are tools. They have relavence in today's world. The social sciences explain what was. That's the "history" part, i.e. the investigation of past data. Then the social sciences lay out what currently is, e.g. in politics, economics, society, culture, religion, etc. Then they try to project what will be. History is only one third of the equation. The social sciences are more value-added especially when it's packaged with science, technology, engineering, math and language/grammar.

Similar History Discussions