Why is it not okay for films from Western countries to not have a diverse cast?

Sep 2018
Sri Lanka
I have come across mainly American TV shows/movies that were criticized for not having a diverse cast.... why is this wrong?

If I made a fictional TV show in the west, will I be told to get a diverse cast?

Does it bring in more money if it had a diverse cast, is that the reason behind it? But I'm pretty sure there have been many that did that bombed and I'm pretty sure that there are many that did not do that, that were box office hits.

------------------------------------------------

Why is it that Japanese or Chinese or Indian TV/movies are not compelled to do the same?

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Clint kind of stood out from the pack, he liked to give parts to Hispanic and native actors for local colour, partly because it made the movies better but also because he learned that way with Sergio Leone.

The old west was likewise quite diverse, a few Anglos but theyre as likely to be Hungarian, German, Irish or whatever, a lot of Hispanic, natives and one hell of a lot of black cowboys.

But through the forties up to the 70s most people got their idea of westerns from TV serials and saturday matinee movies for kids where you wore your colt six gun and a Davey Crocket hat from Disney and got given safe, unthreatening time fillers to shut the kids up for an hour.
Its made in safe conservative TV studies so suburban kids wont be threatened and will still go out and buy Pat Boone lunch boxes.

Bish

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
Because the west has major issues with race discrimination. These calls for more diversaty are very recent and came to the fourfront a couple of years ago with the Oscars.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Because the west has major issues with race discrimination. These calls for more diversaty are very recent and came to the fourfront a couple of years ago with the Oscars.
"Race" is such a misused word. The historical reality of the American West would have been primarily people of European descent, including Hispanics, and Native Americans. Aside, from the latter what "race" would one give to people descended from Spain?

Bish

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
"Race" is such a misused word. The historical reality of the American West would have been primarily people of European descent, including Hispanics, and Native Americans. Aside, from the latter what "race" would one give to people descended from Spain?
This isn't about the American west, he is refferring to the west in general, you know, Europe, the US and so on.

Jun 2018
New York
It really is more of a quota that people believe need to be met. So if that quota is not met then the show/movie/whatever gets a ton of backlash from critics and whatnot. Does being more diverse make the property better? Depends on the story and what is trying to be told. I don't mind it if it is not being forced upon the audience, or ruining historical accuracy for a historical film.

Similar History Discussions