Why is it not okay for films from Western countries to not have a diverse cast?

Nov 2009
Outer world
Bish and Chlodio have quite eloquently explained the whole issue I think.
One note for the OP: these issues does not pertain "White countries", not even "Western" ones, they belong primarily to the Anglosphere (the US, the UK, Austrialia, Canada, New Zealand) and France. The underlying issue is that all these countries host many ethnic minorities which are "visibly different" (i.e. another skin colour) than their white counterparts and as time went on, so all questions about assimilation/integration, discrimination and so forth began to be asked and this is the answer.
Yet, as I said, this whole "diversity issue" is pretty much limited to the abovementioned countries.
In terms of sex, the question is a bit more complex: the whole gender/trans issues pertain pretty much to those countries as well (I would even exclude France), but the problems about gender equality between men and women are present in the whole West, even though there are no big problems with women presence per se, rather concerning either stereotypes or pay issues.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia
I just watched an episode of a series Hollow Crown and noticed that Margaret of Anjou or queen Margaret is portrayed by a black actress.

Thank you for all the diversity and f.ck you (to creators and to western political correctness, not to you forumites). Btw: series sucks.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
The reason is simple: Western countries are fully developed liberal democracies with a functional civil society and an incredibly diverse part of the world. If you have an ever enlarging diverse demographic, more gender equality and a well formed civil society, it's a completely natural outcome that you'll see many different groups demanding for more representation.
This is just the continuation of a larger social and political movement that takes us back to the Enlightenment period.
A civilization based on values such as basic rights for everyone, freedom of speech, freedom of association, encouragement of grassroots movements and individualism will ultimately create a social environment like the one we are witnessing now.
I don't understand why this is so viewed as controversial or as something completely novel for some people. This is exactly what the trend that started 200 years ago would led us to.

Oct 2012
I just watched an episode of a series Hollow Crown and noticed that Margaret of Anjou or queen Margaret is portrayed by a black actress.

Thank you for all the diversity and f.ck you (to creators and to western political correctness, not to you forumites). Btw: series sucks.

During Shakespear`s time Margaret woud have played by a man.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia
The reason is simple: Western countries are fully developed liberal democracies with a functional civil society and an incredibly diverse part of the world. If you have an ever enlarging diverse demographic, more gender equality and a well formed civil society, it's a completely natural outcome that you'll see many different groups demanding for more representation.
This is just the continuation of a larger social and political movement that takes us back to the Enlightenment period.
A civilization based on values such as basic rights for everyone, freedom of speech, freedom of association, encouragement of grassroots movements and individualism will ultimately create a social environment like the one we are witnessing now.
I don't understand why this is so viewed as controversial or as something completely novel for some people. This is exactly what the trend that started 200 years ago would led us to.
Right and nice but what to do when 85% of the world doesn't care about our development you explained, they only envy us our relative wealth.

All our development may end in a dead end and in our ruins. There is no alternative to a digital production but human rights and individualism are not needed to most of the world or above mentioned 85% of humanity.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Right and nice but what to do when 85% of the world doesn't care about our development you explained, they only envy us our relative wealth.

All our development may end in a dead end and in our ruins. There is no alternative to a digital production but human rights and individualism are not needed to most of the world or above mentioned 85% of humanity.
I think that's another subject altogether and deserves a thread of its own.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Most historical figures were not as attractive as the modern-day actors and actresses who portray them. Jesus almost certainly did not have blond hair and blue eyes. Peter O'Toole was nine inches taller than the real Lawrence of Arabia. Charles Lindberg was 25 when he flew the Atlantic. He was played by Jimmy Stewart who was almost 50 at the time. It shouldn't be what the actors look like. It should be what they say and do and how they say and do it.

Similar History Discussions