Why is it not okay for films from Western countries to not have a diverse cast?

Jun 2018
New York
Most historical figures were not as attractive as the modern-day actors and actresses who portray them. Jesus almost certainly did not have blond hair and blue eyes. Peter O'Toole was nine inches taller than the real Lawrence of Arabia. Charles Lindberg was 25 when he flew the Atlantic. He was played by Jimmy Stewart who was almost 50 at the time. It shouldn't be what the actors look like. It should be what they say and do and how they say and do it.
While I can certainly agree with that, there also needs to be some form of accuracy if it is a historical work being made. If a movie or show is about medieval Europe with historical figures there needs to be a degree of accuracy. No matter what you do you are going to get someone attractive to play these figures, that is how the industry works. But if they were to make the king of say, Britain or France black that can be seen as sacrificing accuracy for diversity or a quota to be made. And if that is the case why not make a movie taking place in Africa?

I can only take something with so many liberties. Conventional attractiveness of the actor? Will almost always be above average, gotta sell the movie at face value somehow. Changing a historical figures race completely for the sake of diversity? Something is bound to come out of that, not always good.

If i look at completely fictional works the diversity of the cast depends on the context and setting of the show.

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
While I can certainly agree with that, there also needs to be some form of accuracy if it is a historical work being made. If a movie or show is about medieval Europe with historical figures there needs to be a degree of accuracy. No matter what you do you are going to get someone attractive to play these figures, that is how the industry works. But if they were to make the king of say, Britain or France black that can be seen as sacrificing accuracy for diversity or a quota to be made. And if that is the case why not make a movie taking place in Africa?

I can only take something with so many liberties. Conventional attractiveness of the actor? Will almost always be above average, gotta sell the movie at face value somehow. Changing a historical figures race completely for the sake of diversity? Something is bound to come out of that, not always good.

If i look at completely fictional works the diversity of the cast depends on the context and setting of the show.
True, but then let us be more accurate with our white persons, too. If Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina was white so it should be...But who said that it was OK to cast an anorexic woman in 2012 version on the movie? Tolstoy used the terms to describe Anna that were far from "thin" or "emaciated". And it is all fine with Hollywood.

Jun 2018
New York
True, but then let us be more accurate with our white persons, too. If Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina was white so it should be...But who said that it was OK to cast an anorexic woman in 2012 version on the movie? Tolstoy used the terms to describe Anna that were far from "thin" or "emaciated". And it is all fine with Hollywood.
Anything is fine in Hollywood so far as it looks good and makes money. However no one ever said Hollywood would not try to shoehorn in diversity for diversities sake. Again, nothing wrong with that, but it needs to be within context, especially for historical films.

Sep 2016
Georgia
You know what. I want a major Hollywood movie about Ottoman Empire, Mongols, Japan, Arabs, Seljuks, Persians and etc. that shows their wars and conquests. That they tried to expand their territory at the expense of others and Europeans aka ,, White People '' as well.

I want a movie about how Mongols defeated Rus. How Mongols invaded Hungary and Poland. I want a major Hollywood movie about Arab expansion and conquest.
I want a major Hollywood movie about Spanish Reconquista.

Want a major modern Hollywood movie about Ottomans conquests, especially about Balkan one. Movie about Downfall of Constantinople. Films, where they besiege Vienna and it has to be saved.

Films about Persians. Maybe about Nader-shah and his campaign in India. Their other wars
Movie about Seljuks and wars against Byzantine, Georgia and others
Major Hollywood film about Japanese imperialism and atrocities that they commited against Chinese and others. Nanking massacre on the screen and what squads like 731 did to people as well.

Film about Armenian Genocide

Also, I loved how quickly those cowards changed their decision about Ciri from Witcher series not being white, when they faced major backlash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azad67 and macon

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
You know what. I want a major Hollywood movie about Ottoman Empire, Mongols, Japan, Arabs, Seljuks, Persians and etc. that shows their wars and conquests. That they tried to expand their territory at the expense of others and Europeans aka ,, White People '' as well.

I want a movie about how Mongols defeated Rus. How Mongols invaded Hungary and Poland. I want a major Hollywood movie about Arab expansion and conquest.
I want a major Hollywood movie about Spanish Reconquista.

Want a major modern Hollywood movie about Ottomans conquests, especially about Balkan one. Movie about Downfall of Constantinople. Films, where they besiege Vienna and it has to be saved.

Films about Persians. Maybe about Nader-shah and his campaign in India. Their other wars
Movie about Seljuks and wars against Byzantine, Georgia and others
Major Hollywood film about Japanese imperialism and atrocities that they commited against Chinese and others. Nanking massacre on the screen and what squads like 731 did to people as well.

Film about Armenian Genocide

Also, I loved how quickly those cowards changed their decision about Ciri from Witcher series not being white, when they faced major backlash.

Check Russian series Sophia about wife of Ivan III, grandfather of Ivan Grozny and Ekaterina about Catherine the Great. Very decent plots, cast, scenery and directing. Less histeric than Hollywood and psychologicaly stronger. Check Russian movie Horde with Golden horde in time of Jani Beg, also very good. Or for recent times, a good series Makhno about Nestor Makhno, I got many pieces together regarding a period. An actor strikingly resembles Makhno from photos. They also have a series about Dzerzhinski and Ivan Grozny but I still need to check them. Admiral is also prolongued into a series (a movie about Kolchak).

I''m just in a middle of Ekaterina.

Chinese Sanguo is on Youtube with english subtitles. A masterpiece. Forget Game of thrones fairytales, all these talk about actual people from a past.

Are you from Georgia Georgia or from Ray Charles Georgia? :D

Last edited:

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
If anyone wants to see a politically incorrect film than watch Russian film Battalion. I've never seen so many graphic deaths of young women and beating of women in one film. All versions of Jack the Ripper and Texas Chainsaw Massacre hide before that film. :)

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
You know what. I want a major Hollywood movie about Ottoman Empire, Mongols, Japan, Arabs, Seljuks, Persians and etc. that shows their wars and conquests
The best movies - and usually the only decent ones - about a country's history or culture are almost always made by people who are actually from that country, or at least from a country with a very similar culture or history, not by total outsiders. I don't know why people want Hollywood to portray everything. What's the point of having historical events (or even fictionalized versions of historical events) always portrayed from the same narrow, restricted vision? It's the exact opposite of what would be ideal.

Reactions: Zanis and macon
Aug 2018
Anatolia
Seems like people are forced to love and appreciate different cultures for some reason. Globalization is pushed down people's throats. I was having fun watching some Tareq Nasheed's Hidden Colours documentary series and "Shakespeare was undoubtedly black". To my surprise I discovered there was some movie like Wakanda Black Panther, came out, praised with a huge media support, the hype was seemingly unreal and people could not dare to criticise it. The movie looks like a total retard work, another worthless by Marvel. When you talk about such blatant autism running around, lowering people's collective intelligence, people accuse you for being racist, misogynist or gayphobe.
Not to forget the famous black Achilles:

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
I don't think an obscure documentary series (Hidden Colors) by an internet activist is an example of "globalization being forced down people's throats". I don't think anyone could find something like that unless they were looking for that kind of material (or at least something similar). Black Panther is a Marvel superhero movie; lots of people have criticized different aspects of it without being accused of being this or that. If you don't like superhero movies, then you don't like them. I thought it was okay (as I stated here at the time it came out), but in comparison to many of the movies that Hollywood puts out I certainly don't see anything particularly "collective intelligence lowering" about it. It's not highbrow, but then most of what Hollywood puts out isn't.

As for "black Achilles", it's stupid, but that's on the creators and the people in charge of casting. There is some similar nonsense in the other direction as well - cases of whites playing characters that were written as Asian, even in some recent movies.