Why is it not okay for films from Western countries to not have a diverse cast?

May 2017
Monterrey
I prefer the best actor for the role. I don't really care about historical accuracy unless it is a documentary. There are maybe half a dozen movies/series that get any kind of historical details correct anyways.

Besides, why did this become an issue only after white actors got replaced by a more diverse cast? Didn't hear much protests when native americans were snow-white, or when mongols were portrayed by WASPs.

Nov 2018
Idaho
Because Christianity has mutated into a social gospel religion and Racism is a Sin. Personally I regard all forms of piety (ancient and modern) as superstitious and irritating; the existence of these people invites racial epithets in the same way preachy Jesus freaks invite wearing a baphomet t-shirt. They deserve to be offended.

Speaking of racial diversity, how about John Wayne as Genghis Khan? We'll be having your women and gold, pilgrim.

Aug 2014
pakistan
I just watched an episode of a series Hollow Crown and noticed that Margaret of Anjou or queen Margaret is portrayed by a black actress.

Thank you for all the diversity and f.ck you (to creators and to western political correctness, not to you forumites). Btw: series sucks.
Why they do that? i find it very weird and distracting.

Aug 2014
pakistan
If they are so eager to appease Black-Africans, then instead of giving them roles of white historical figures, they should make movies and TV series about actual historical black figures in history. There are even black generals and black rulers in history of our subcontinent. For example Malik Ambar of Ethopia is very interesting character, make a TV series about him ; Malik Ambar - Wikipedia

Aug 2014
pakistan
There is a Netflix series, "AD", that has a black actress playing Mary Magdalene. :rolleyes:
And what do you think Mary Magdalene looked like?. You are probably imagining her to be a white woman with Nordic features but she would have looks of a typical Semitic person like modern says Arabs. I have googled the actress and she does not look Black but brown, she can fit in middle east.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
And what do you think Mary Magdalene looked like?. You are probably imagining her to be a white woman with Nordic features but she would have looks of a typical Semitic person like modern says Arabs. I have googled the actress and she does not look Black but brown, she can fit in middle east.

That lady has clear African features, in fact I see more African features in her than anything. In fact, most Middle Easterners are not brown, unless they are of mixed African ancestry. A lot of Middle Easterners have Sub-Saharan African ancestry, specially the ones living at southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula.

It is certainly possible that the hypothesized historical Jesus or Mary Magdalene could have some African ancestry, bu that's still very unlikely.

Important note: when people in the West label someone as "black", it doesn't strictly means having black color, what it means is having African ancestry, and in the case of North America, it means someone even with a single drop of African blood and no black skin whatsoever. Therefore a black person can have a "brown" skin color, those are not mutually exclusive. A pitch black Sri Lankan individual will probably never be labeled as "black" in the West, even if he is darker than most Africans.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
I have come across mainly American TV shows/movies that were criticized for not having a diverse cast.... why is this wrong?

If I made a fictional TV show in the west, will I be told to get a diverse cast?

Does it bring in more money if it had a diverse cast, is that the reason behind it? But I'm pretty sure there have been many that did that bombed and I'm pretty sure that there are many that did not do that, that were box office hits.

------------------------------------------------

Why is it that Japanese or Chinese or Indian TV/movies are not compelled to do the same?
Whether or not the criticism is valid depends on the film and whether or not it is an accurate representation of the people, place, and time being protrayed. Two examples...

Flags of Our Fathers: Clint Eastwood received some criticism for the cast not being diverse. In this case the criticism was not valid in that the U.S. military was still segregated during the Second World War.

Aloha: The movie, which was set in Hawaii, was criticized for it's nearly all white cast including extras. The criticism here was valid, as whites are a minority in Hawaii and casting Emma Stone as a character who was a quarter Hawaiian and a quarter Chinese was silly.

May 2017
Monterrey
I wonder if any of yours really understand what an actor and acting is. Some of you would be upset to find out that Christopher Lee or Ian McKellan aren't actually wizards...if you choose between two actors and you select one based on skin colour then you made the wrong choice.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Crete
Seems like people are forced to love and appreciate different cultures for some reason. Globalization is pushed down people's throats. I was having fun watching some Tareq Nasheed's Hidden Colours documentary series and "Shakespeare was undoubtedly black". To my surprise I discovered there was some movie like Wakanda Black Panther, came out, praised with a huge media support, the hype was seemingly unreal and people could not dare to criticise it. The movie looks like a total retard work, another worthless by Marvel. When you talk about such blatant autism running around, lowering people's collective intelligence, people accuse you for being racist, misogynist or gayphobe.
Not to forget the famous black Achilles:
There was also the Zeus played by a black in that film... I understand kinda remotely that complex they have in the west with diversity, because it's not existing yet down here, but depicting Zeus as black is kinda offending, they should respect Zeus as much as they do with Alah etc, for diversity and multiculturalism sake