Why is it that in The Matrix, when those plugged into the simulation machine are killed in the simulation, they die in the real world as well?

Oct 2017
America ??
I’ve always pondered on this & been mildly disappointed that no explanation is given in the movie other than Morpheus’ quick answer to Neo’s quick inquiry that “the body cannot live without the mind”. Brain-dead people on life support as well as non-animal lifeforms without nervous systems prove otherwise. Furthermore, those who die bleeding in the matrix also die bleeding in real life. I think that the simulation-real life death aspect of the matrix violates basic biology & science, unless there can be other solutions like extreme heat, electricity, or radiation exposed to the brain/nervous system while it’s plugged into the simulation machine or other aspects, but even then wouldn’t it have been better if that was explained or even suggested as a possibility in the story itself rather than to be speculated by us in “real life?”

What do you think?

Last edited:

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Well, this aspect seems to be a "small" anomaly in comparison to Neo's sacrifice in the third film. There's no explanation even offered (which I can recall) of how the "diabolical" machines can be sabotaged through the data generated inside Neo?

Mar 2019
Kansas
^ what do you mean by that?
The mechanism for dying in real life does not matter. Think about it, if you could not die in real life,. the resistance must win. You die in the matrix, just jack back in and try again.

So the writers had to include it so the audience would care. The scene where Cipher kills a bunch of them. Whats the cinema impact if the crew just sit up in their chairs and say SOB and punch him in the face.

Or the big shootout in the house. Why bother trying to escape. Die..........jack back in and away you go

Mar 2019
Kansas
Well, this aspect seems to be a "small" anomaly in comparison to Neo's sacrifice in the third film. There's no explanation even offered (which I can recall) of how the "diabolical" machines can be sabotaged through the data generated inside Neo?
No the architect explained that. Or so the script writers thought. :)

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I will grant that using the Architect in the very final scene of the trilogy is helpful to fool the audience into thinking that there was something imparted to Neo by the Architect about the "how" he can finish his mission, but I don't recall it!