Why is Liberia poor if it was never colonized?

Sep 2012
Argentina
Some people try to explain Africa's poverty by saying it's because European countries oppressed them and stole their resources. Well, Liberia has been an independent country for longer than countries like Canada, Germany, Italy, Australia, New Zealand and many other developed countries(some were colonized, others not). What can you say about this then? It's so easy to blame everything on Europeans...

The same could be said about Ethiopia although it was conquered by the Italians but regained their independence quickly

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Some people try to explain Africa's poverty by saying it's because European countries oppressed them and stole their resources. Well, Liberia has been an independent country for longer than countries like Canada, Germany, Italy, Australia, New Zealand and many other developed countries(some were colonized, others not). What can you say about this then? It's so easy to blame everything on Europeans...

The same could be said about Ethiopia although it was conquered by the Italians but regained their independence quickly
Oh dear....the Thought Police will come calling any moment if you express unapproved, non PC, non apologist opinions like that ...:think:

No matter how logical.

Apr 2016
Netherlands
unfavourable climate (disease), civil war, corruption, financial isolation (surrounded by colonial territories unwilling to invest in the country)

From the limited search I did it seems that the country did fairly well on independence, then struggled because it could not attract investments for industrialisation, enjoyed good growth in the 1950's and then all went sour in the 80's with several coups and civil wars that lasted until 2003.

Jun 2013
Universe
Liberia during its early days was actually one of the most stable countries in Africa especially during the 40s and I think even the 70s.

I believe things went really downhill since the 80s especially with the civil war.

Sep 2012
Argentina
I myself feel like there is a very strong climatic component. Have you ever seen a country with Tropical climate that is developed? Some might argue Australia is developed and tropical, well, it only has a small portion of its territory that could be classified as tropical, and it's very scarcely populated. Most people live in the South East, where climate is temperate.

To me it seems tropical weather affects not only the quality of infraestructure(it's much easier to build things in less humid climates). I think it also appears to have some effects in the behavior of people. Tropical areas are the most violent in the world, and I think it's no coincidence.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
I myself feel like there is a very strong climatic component. Have you ever seen a country with Tropical climate that is developed? Some might argue Australia is developed and tropical, well, it only has a small portion of its territory that could be classified as tropical, and it's very scarcely populated. Most people live in the South East, where climate is temperate.

To me it seems tropical weather affects not only the quality of infraestructure(it's much easier to build things in less humid climates). I think it also appears to have some effects in the behavior of people. Tropical areas are the most violent in the world, and I think it's no coincidence.
This was the thinking of many Australian politicians in the 19th/early 20th century. They believed Europeans could not work in the tropical north and wanted to import non-European labour, which they did although it was never used exclusively.

When looking for a site for the federal capital many recommended a cold climate to preserve the European virtues believed lost when white men worked in the tropics. (They certainly succeded with Canberra - the place is freezing)

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean

So Indonesia, Malaysia the Philippines, Singapore. Thailand, Vietnam, Cuba, Jamaica and many more are not Developed?

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
This was the thinking of many Australian politicians in the 19th/early 20th century. They believed Europeans could not work in the tropical north and wanted to import non-European labour, which they did although it was never used exclusively.

When looking for a site for the federal capital many recommended a cold climate to preserve the European virtues believed lost when white men worked in the tropics. (They certainly succeded with Canberra - the place is freezing)
Can confirm Canberra is in fact european