Why is the German Invasion of Poland usually marked as the beginning of the Second World War?

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Even before Barbarossa and Pearl Harbor the war had:
1. soldiers fighting from all continents, mostly due to the colonial empires that recruited troops from their colonies.
2. fighting spread to much of the world, of course there was fighting in Europe, but also in Asia, Africa, off the coast of South America, on the seas.

True, but at that point (before 1941) only the war between the Allies and Germany could have been classified as a world war, the Sino-Japanese War could not.

I agree, but that does not make the 1939-41 Allies vs Germany conflict not a world war.

Indeed, it brought the Far East war into the wider, global conflict. It's worth keeping in mind that Germany and Japan were practically waging two separate wars without much cooperation.
I don’t recall the author’s name, but I read a well-written book, The Last. European War many years ago that posited exactly the same thing. WW2 did not become a global conflict until Pearl Harbor.

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
I don’t recall the author’s name, but I read a well-written book, The Last. European War many years ago that posited exactly the same thing. WW2 did not become a global conflict until Pearl Harbor.
So what was it then?
A localized conflict?

(Localized to the Planet Earth?) ;)