Why is the Red Summer (1919) being overshadowed by first African arrivals in 1619?

Nov 2019
baseball06
2019 has been a year of substantial progress in the United States and the world as a whole. Gender and racial roles have begun enormous transformations throughout the world as laws change to protect individual rights and opportunities. This year marks the 400-year anniversary of Africans arriving in the territory now known as the state of Virginia. While this is a substantial milestone in the history of African Americans, it seems to me that it reflects the history of a predominantly white perspective on what's important in American history. This year also marks the 100-year anniversary of the Red Summer, which resulted in the deaths of hundreds of African Americans across the United States. It seems to me that historians are choosing to remember the more pleasant of the two events rather than acknowledging the fact that these two histories are intimately intertwined. Though the year is nearly over, it seems important to acknowledge the horrors African Americans were submitted to in the not so distant past and pay homage to the individuals who's backs the United States was built upon. I believe that it is the public historian’s responsibility to carry out realistic historical education on behalf of those who perished or were terrorized during the Red Summer. I cannot think of a better way to honor them myself than to open a thread to encourage discussion that immortalizes the contributions African American men and women have made to the United States and the world at large. I encourage anyone who reads this thread to contribute an accomplishment/s of an African American in individual or group throughout history. Thank you for your attention. I look forward to any and all contributions.

Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
It seems like the key difference is that the race riots of Red Summer didn't have many long-term effects. That's not to say it shouldn't be remembered or that it wasn't significant for the victims of these attacks.

1619 marked the beginning of historical events whose effects are still felt today. I don't see either of these events as especially pleasant.

Oct 2019
West Virginia
The race riots of 1919 were not an isolated event. Such genocidal binges occurred repeatedly, and not only against African-Americans. One such riot in Monterey, California, was directed at Chinese.

I feel little inclined to celebrate the anniversary of the 1619 meeting of the first democratic assembly in the 13 colonies, as it is far overshadowed by the arrival of the first African slave. To facilitate the enslavement of black people, Virginia colony enacted the first legal distinctions between the 2 mythical "races", black and white, which also served to prevent solidarity between black and white workers, thereby greatly weakening the ability of white workers to fight against their own exploitation.

When I was 9 yrs old and on vacation in Virginia, in 1959, I first found out that I was "white" after seeing a "We cater to whites only" sign. What's a white, I asked? Like us, my mother replied, not colored. That's a bit insane, is it not, that I am supposed to consider my ethnic identity as consisting of NOT being of another particular group.

As for contributions of A-A people in the USA, there are many, but I would start with the food. Blackeye peas, okra, watermelon... all were of W African origin and brought over by slaves. Also the rice cultivation in South Carolina was possible only due to the importation of slaves from Senegal, where rice cultivation was already well-developed.