Why is there a pyramid with an all-seeing eye on the back of the dollar bill?

Sep 2006
Topeka, Kansas
Is it really a Masonic symbol?
Yes, and no. The Freemasons do indeed use the Eye of Providence, as do many other historical groups. However, there is no hard evidence that this was intended to represent a masonic symbol. From what I have read, the use of the eye on the great seal predated its use by the Freemasons. The eye as a symbol of God predated use by either. The seal is surrounded by the words "Annuit Coeptis" ("He approves our undertakings"). The pyramid has 13 steps representing the original states. It is unfinished, representing future growth of the country. The implication is that God (ie "divine Providence") is watching over the country and it's growth.

FDR personally approved the design of the one dollar bill (not the seal which was designed by committee in 1776-1782). He was a Mason, and it is certainly possible that it was chosen because the symbolism engendered by the seal was in line with Masonic ideas. However, this is mere speculation and there is no evidence that the design of the seal or its use on the bill had Masonic origins.

Incidentally, the History Channel had an entire episode of Decoding the Past dedicated to this on last weekend. Maybe it will be re-run for those interested.

May 2008
FDR personally approved the design of the one dollar bill (not the seal which was designed by committee in 1776-1782). He was a Mason, and it is certainly possible that it was chosen because the symbolism engendered by the seal was in line with Masonic ideas.
I had no idea.:)

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Because they ran out of room on the front ?

DIVUS IVLIVS

Ad Honoris
Jan 2008
Virginia
I really can't tell. But I'm not big on the idea that it's part of an evil society to rule the world even if it says "New World Order" right below it in spanish.

Sep 2006
Topeka, Kansas
I really can't tell. But I'm not big on the idea that it's part of an evil society to rule the world even if it says "New World Order" right below it in spanish.
Novus Ordo Seclorum is Latin, not Spanish. Precise translation is "New Order of the Ages". In my opinion it has nothing to do with a new Masonic order. It simply refers to a new age in America following independence from Britain. The phrase was proposed by Patriot Charles Thompson who was not even a Mason.

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Novus Ordo Seclorum is Latin, not Spanish.
I guess you didn't get the memo!! Que lastima there is a new dollar.
They call it the Pedro Dollar because like the Pedro, eat es good for nathing.

Sep 2006
Topeka, Kansas
I guess you didn't get the memo!! Que lastima there is a new dollar.
They call it the Pedro Dollar because like the Pedro, eat es good for nathing.
I guess that explains the recent decline in the price of the dollar! ;) I bet the all-seeing eye is pretty pissed about that sombrero. A Stetson is one thing, but a sombrero?

DIVUS IVLIVS

Ad Honoris
Jan 2008
Virginia
Novus Ordo Seclorum is Latin, not Spanish. Precise translation is "New Order of the Ages". In my opinion it has nothing to do with a new Masonic order. It simply refers to a new age in America following independence from Britain. The phrase was proposed by Patriot Charles Thompson who was not even a Mason.
That's just what my spanish teacher and one of my spanish speaking friends told me.