Why Isn't Taiwain part of the PRC?

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
It's that simple. Mao and his People's Liberation Army did not have a navy and could not get forces across the Formosa Strait, at least not enough to defeat the Nationalist forces already on Taiwan. Any alliance between Taiwan and the US is ambiguous at best. Taiwan remains independent largely because China still lacks an adequate amphibious lift capability for such an undertaking.

Feb 2016
ROK
Battle of Guningtou - Wikipedia
The Battle of Guningtou or Battle of Kuningtou (Chinese: 古寧頭之役; pinyin: Gǔníngtóu zhī yì), also known as the Battle of Kinmen (金門戰役; Jīnmén Zhànyì), was a battle fought over Kinmen in the Taiwan Strait during the Chinese Civil War in 1949. The failure of the Communists to take the island left it in the hands of the Kuomintang (Nationalists) and crushed their chances of taking Taiwan to destroy the Nationalists completely in the war...

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
I'm curious why Taiwan wasn't conquered like the Chinese mainland. Was it just the fact that it's an island? I know it's not conquered now due to being allied with the US.
Yes, essentially Taiwan remained indepdndent because it was an island. If Taiwan had been attached to the mainland, it would have been taken over by the Communist just like the rest of mainland China.

China did not have a the naval capacity to invade an island against armed opposition. Not sure if it has the capability even today to successfully invade Taiwan, invading islands in the ocean is difficult, just ask the Mongols.

Note, Taiwan only became part or China in the 17th century.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
It being an island is only part of it. Its also because it wasn't close to the mainland and the Communists didn't have any internal support. Hainan island is a good example, it is a large island as well and was held by the nationalists after they were driven from the mainland. It fell to the communists because it was closer to the mainland than Taiwan and the communists had a guerilla presence on the island (as well as its distance from Taiwan). The Korean war also played an important part, when china entered the war America suddenly realized it needed to do something and sent the navy to deter a communist invasion (although it would have been very difficult for them anyway). Interestingly nationalist forces held on in small enclaves for years after the supposed end of the war. I believe there was a large force that retreated into Burma, that was supported by Taiwan for years. This is also while Tibet was being invaded. China had multiple battlefields during the early 50's.

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
taiwan is part of china. no country ever existed as named "taiwan", if a taiwan person tells anyone the existence of a "taiwan" country, the person is inconsistent even if we reference the laws in effect inside taiwan island.

it is currently beyond the management of PRC government, just that, similar as the Confederation had been beyond the management of Lincoln administration.

now the phenomenon is caused because chinese is not interested on killing chinese to conquer the island. a war, always kills people.

it is not about lack of navy or fear of US. to my knowledge, the US has not yet win a war over PRC, not 50 years ago, and one would be joking if one tells me the opposite could happen 50 years later.

we are willing to take loss if necessary.
if people are so narrow sighted and so short-term biased by a relative weaker chinese military (compared with .. US?), perhaps in their hearts, they should have known what to expect in the long term.

Oct 2012
I have visited both ROC and PRC and I honestly think it would be best for the Chinese people if ROC would take over PRC, not another way around.

Last edited:
Sep 2013
France
I have never undestood this.
Taiwan is a sovereign state with all the attributes of soverignty: a governement, an army (even if under the protection of the US), and even their own currency, the taiwan dollar !
Still Taïwan do not claim to be an independent state, even if most taïwanese want so (Majority reject unification: poll - Taipei Times).
The UN reject their claim to have a seat because their can be only one China, but hey have their own seats in other international organizations.
Totally schyzo.

Similar History Discussions