Why Isn't Taiwain part of the PRC?

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
if name like Wang Jinping, Han Guoyu, Wu Yinning, Wan Shijian.... could be talked by those lecturing and taiwan independence loving guys, i'd have thought someone know the situation and his/her assertion taiwan is independent worthy a tripe re-think.

the situation is not.

someone is addicted to "theoretical concerns" or some political correctness or some metaphysics.

i am pragmatist.
so when people mentioning the referendum, i tell you how referendum is designed to give tricky result, when people trying to lecturing on values of west, i tell you we chinese keep the option of war.

Last edited:

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
You can find some guys, but that does not mean a majority.

You want to go killing Taiwan people, just because they want independence?
there is also another interesting topic, that if PLA to attack taiwan, most taiwan people choose not resist, as reported by medias inside taiwan.
the tendency is even more toward this direction in recent years, as those who had been served in military sections in taiwan had been significantly reduced the pension, simultaneously, they were named moth insects of the society.

so calm down.

i don't think that means zero loss of lives, though. mainlander could die too.

that isn't the core problem, though. see how civil war other nations was described as glory.
we chinese are calm enough to know that a civil war is not glory because it kills, but it is worthy if necessary.

and i'd like you to know, don't be tricked by so called "majority".
i know several taiwan medias, each claim they have surveys, each result into different ends.

you might have not seen the fact i have stated long time ago, the only reason that taiwan remain not administrated by a PRC government, is because chinese do not want to kill chinese.
the option exists, though.
hope you tell the difference

Last edited:
Dec 2011
You certainly make a good point regarding other nations, which have in the past made civil war against their own people, and the prime example is the US civil war, in which Southern states (which in theory were independent entities) were attacked.

I am not sure that the Taiwan people would choose not to resist.

Oct 2013
Canada
You can find some guys, but that does not mean a majority.

You want to go killing Taiwan people, just because they want independence?
Alternatively it can be viewed as wanting to kill Mainlanders because they want a unified nation, or wanting to kill Mainlanders for opposing ethnic treason (which somehow can masquerade as a human right under the title independence), etc.

Dec 2011
Alternatively it can be viewed as wanting to kill Mainlanders because they want a unified nation, or wanting to kill Mainlanders for opposing ethnic treason (which somehow can masquerade as a human right under the title independence), etc.
Such arguments, of course, have been used around the world to justify larger nations coming and killing people of smaller nations. In Britain for example, Wales was invaded to bring about national unity - that was the justification, although really the kings of long ago simply wanted to conquer, and they did not care how many people they had to kill to do that.

I think that the people of Taiwan have no wish to kill mainlanders. If UNARMED mainlanders came to Taiwan and asked to be allowed to rule the country, then the Taiwanese wouldn''t kill them, though they very probably wouldn't let them rule the country. If mainlanders came with guns and tanks, the Taiwanese might see the need to defend themselves.

Feb 2019
Nigeria
It's that simple. Mao and his People's Liberation Army did not have a navy and could not get forces across the Formosa Strait, at least not enough to defeat the Nationalist forces already on Taiwan. Any alliance between Taiwan and the US is ambiguous at best. Taiwan remains independent largely because China still lacks an adequate amphibious lift capability for such an undertaking.
I think you are wrong here, China has the military capability to invade Taiwan and overrun its territories in a day but don't want to do it because of a treaty that makes Taiwan party of a One Country Two System.

<link removed by mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
I think you are wrong here, China has the military capability to invade Taiwan and overrun its territories in a day but don't want to do it because of a treaty that makes Taiwan party of a One Country Two System.

Visit for more
The Taiwanese still expect to hold out fighting the mainlanders for up to a month in the case of a landing. Also only approx 10% of the Taiwanese coastline is really suitable for establishing beach heads, it means the defenders' job is rather simplified.

The Taiwan Strait also isn't actually that narrow. It's comparable to the width of the Baltic Sea, and considering the opportunities for planning how to stop a Soviet amphib invasion at the height of the Cold War done there, Taiwan has all manner of opportunities to make it a very hard proposition for China.

The Taiwanese defense doctrine these days also emphasizes asymmetrical measures to as much as possible hurt and degrade Chinese amphibious capabilities before reaching the island in case of an invasion attempt. Consequently the real investments have been in air force, navy, and general air defense and naval strike capabilities. (Chinese airborne forces are not of the numbers that China can hope to invade using air assault alone, and so needs to come by see.) Stopping as much as necessary to make a Chinese landing attempt unworkable is all Taiwan needs to do to defeat an outright invasion.

It seems one of the critical issues for Taiwan is whether they can acquire, or themselves learn to build, a credible number of modern submarines.
Taiwan’s Indigenous Submarine to Be Based on European Design

China can still blockade and starve them of course.