Why Isn't Taiwain part of the PRC?

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
The Taiwanese still expect to hold out fighting the mainlanders for up to a month in the case of a landing. Also only approx 10% of the Taiwanese coastline is really suitable for establishing beach heads, it means the defenders' job is rather simplified.

The Taiwan Strait also isn't actually that narrow. It's comparable to the width of the Baltic Sea, and considering the opportunities for planning how to stop a Soviet amphib invasion at the height of the Cold War done there, Taiwan has all manner of opportunities to make it a very hard proposition for China.

The Taiwanese defense doctrine these days also emphasizes asymmetrical measures to as much as possible hurt and degrade Chinese amphibious capabilities before reaching the island in case of an invasion attempt. Consequently the real investments have been in air force, navy, and general air defense and naval strike capabilities. (Chinese airborne forces are not of the numbers that China can hope to invade using air assault alone, and so needs to come by see.) Stopping as much as necessary to make a Chinese landing attempt unworkable is all Taiwan needs to do to defeat an outright invasion.

It seems one of the critical issues for Taiwan is whether they can acquire, or themselves learn to build, a credible number of modern submarines.
Taiwan’s Indigenous Submarine to Be Based on European Design

China can still blockade and starve them of course.

most of your information is incorrect.

in 2007, it is being asked to the head of defense in taiwan island, how long time taiwan island could resist in case of PLA attack, the answer is 2 weeks, and all others depend on US actions.
(the question had been repeated multiple times in the video, my previous words give a summary on the translations)

in 2007, mainland do not have any 054A, 052D ships, let along J20 planes or carriers. and remember it was 2 weeks (which is exaggerated by taiwan military anyway), so NOW, it becomes A MONTH? that is a joke.

and "Indigenous Submarine to Be Based on European Design" is a further joke.
if you read a little more, you will find the medias in taiwan had questioned for a long time, that the "European Design" company is just a shell company which claimed to be in Gibraltar. further report exposed that the company is actual controlled by some taiwan guys.

Indigenous Submarine had already been a shame chapter to be ignored in taiwan medias, yet you still brought it up here.

Last edited:
Feb 2019
Nigeria
The Taiwanese still expect to hold out fighting the mainlanders for up to a month in the case of a landing. Also only approx 10% of the Taiwanese coastline is really suitable for establishing beach heads, it means the defenders' job is rather simplified.

The Taiwan Strait also isn't actually that narrow. It's comparable to the width of the Baltic Sea, and considering the opportunities for planning how to stop a Soviet amphib invasion at the height of the Cold War done there, Taiwan has all manner of opportunities to make it a very hard proposition for China.

The Taiwanese defense doctrine these days also emphasizes asymmetrical measures to as much as possible hurt and degrade Chinese amphibious capabilities before reaching the island in case of an invasion attempt. Consequently the real investments have been in air force, navy, and general air defense and naval strike capabilities. (Chinese airborne forces are not of the numbers that China can hope to invade using air assault alone, and so needs to come by see.) Stopping as much as necessary to make a Chinese landing attempt unworkable is all Taiwan needs to do to defeat an outright invasion.

It seems one of the critical issues for Taiwan is whether they can acquire, or themselves learn to build, a credible number of modern submarines.
Taiwan’s Indigenous Submarine to Be Based on European Design

China can still blockade and starve them of course.
Well you made a point here but i still think China is underrated by the West and i don't think the figure China is releasing to the media is the exact figure of their navy and armed forces because its important to conceal some military intelligence. China can plan an invasion in a day by invading without declaring war, which will make the Taiwanese government unprepared for the attack and still on the attack, the Chinese can launch an airborne invasion to capture the coastline for a smooth landing of People Liberation Army.

The Chinese Army that you think is not capable to fight the small Taiwan fought a combine US/South Korea in the 1950 Korean War and also threatened to go to war with British over Hong Kong.

China is bigger and better than what it is yesterday.

my history blog

May 2017
Hong Kong
As far as I know the Taiwanese people do not have a strong will to oppose a clean-cut blitz military action from China whatever their political stances. They cannot attract enough young people for a career in the forces.

I just doubt how many people there would really fight for Taiwan.

Sep 2011
Indigenous Submarine had already been a shame chapter to be ignored in taiwan medias, yet you still brought it up here.
That may be, but on a purely factual basis subs are crucial for Taiwan to have a credible asymmetric deterrence against the PRC. It's a simple observation. That is has proven tricky for the Taiwanese doesn't change that.

You can despise the Taiwanse, or me, if you like over this. It doesn't really change anything.

Sep 2011
The Chinese Army that you think is not capable to fight the small Taiwan
I haven't actually expressed any firm opinion on that so far.

What I have observed is HOW an assymetrical deterrence against a more powerful adversary tends to work. And observed that this is clearly what the Taiwnese are going for. Whether they are there now, or whether it might eventually work if put to the test, is a different matter.

Do you deny this is what the Taiwanese are trying to do?

But I can see this galls you for some reason.

Apr 2013
China
That may be, but on a purely factual basis subs are crucial for Taiwan to have a credible asymmetric deterrence against the PRC. It's a simple observation. That is has proven tricky for the Taiwanese doesn't change that.

You can despise the Taiwanse, or me, if you like over this. It doesn't really change anything.
i have not in any word despise people in the taiwan.

the european design story has been proven by the medias inside taiwan island as a corruption case using shell company. oh, corruption should be despised no matter where they are.

it is you putting words in my mouth and who should be despised.

and sorry, the submarine is neither demanded by the taiwan people nor it provides any asymmetric defense.
what world you live in?
you don't know even the rocket artillery can cross over the sea, let along missiles?

submarine? what that could be helpful except let us see some corruption cases.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Canada
Such arguments, of course, have been used around the world to justify larger nations coming and killing people of smaller nations. In Britain for example, Wales was invaded to bring about national unity - that was the justification, although really the kings of long ago simply wanted to conquer, and they did not care how many people they had to kill to do that.

I think that the people of Taiwan have no wish to kill mainlanders. If UNARMED mainlanders came to Taiwan and asked to be allowed to rule the country, then the Taiwanese wouldn''t kill them, though they very probably wouldn't let them rule the country. If mainlanders came with guns and tanks, the Taiwanese might see the need to defend themselves.
Taiwan is not a smaller nation, it's a rogue state.

If the PLA arrives in Taiwan armed to the teeth, there is no such thing as defending themselves. A Taiwanese who picks up a gun and shoot the advancing PLA is a traitor and a terrorist.

Sep 2011
Taiwan is not a smaller nation, it's a rogue state.

If the PLA arrives in Taiwan armed to the teeth, there is no such thing as defending themselves. A Taiwanese who picks up a gun and shoot the advancing PLA is a traitor and a terrorist.
Just another way of stating that classic "the strong do what they want, and the weak suffer what they must". (Thucydides) Certainly China can attempt to deal with the world like that, if it thinks this a good idea.

But that's precisely where asymmetric warfare, deterrence through things like stealth (subs), and even nukes (North Korea), become the go-to means for the weak also.

Siege of Melos - Wikipedia

Similar History Discussions