Why Italians were considered non Whites in America?

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Reality is as usual really banal ... now that American Italians are a pivotal part of the electorate [without the support of American Italians on Eastern Coast no one can become President of the United States] Italians in US are "whiter than white"!!!

A time will come when Mexicans will be a pivotal wide "minority" and they will become "white" as well.

Sep 2012
Spring, Texas
A lot of black Americans are racially mixed. When the Five Civilized tribes went to Oklahoma, they took their Slaves with them. Not all Indian Tribes treated Slaves the same. There were a number of "Maroons" in Florida when the Spanish still owned it. Andrew Jackson brought in Militia to chastise the Creeks. He also went into the Florida Panhandle and burned down "Maroon Fort". Many runaways went to Florida and some settled in with what became the Seminoles. Some were adapted into the tribe and some stayed Slaves.

After reaching Oklahoma some Seminoles kept gong and settled over the Rio Grande Border in Mexico. There were some "Black Seminoles" with them.

There were a large number of Africans brought into Mexico before Slavery was abolished. The highest concentration is around the Guatemalean Border. Sime of the "Conquistadores" were Slave soldiers brought in from Cuba. One came with Navarres' fleet and brought Smallpox with him.

I have met a lot of Black People over the years that said they were part Indian. Nichole Nichols of Star Trek fame said one of her Grandparents was Indian. In Louisiana the local Indians were considered "non-White" and went to school with other Minorities. The school I last taught at was Washington-Marion (consolidated school). The old Booker T Washington was called the Indians because some local Attakapas were sent there.

The Pequot Tribe I keep bringing up is today about half White and half Black. The men kept going to sea and never came back. The women married whomever they could.

Pruitt

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Where were these 'Protestant' immigrants/settlers from?

What type of 'Protestants' were characterising them as 'Whores of Babylon'? This sounds like, dare I say it, Presbyterian kind of language. (sorry to any Presbyterians :eek:)

Why are they called 'WASPS'? When was this term first used? It says 1957 on wikipedia

The Anglo Saxon period was the 6th to 9th century?

How many everyday Americans believed this?

(sorry for all the questions)
I remember Kennedy’s campaign for the presidency as if it were yesterday. The kind of foolish ignorance expressed by those who viewed the Catholic Church as a threat to America was quite real but also quite baseless. Once Kennedy became president, most of the objections just evaporated under the bright white light of Kennedy himself and his glamorous well-educated wife.

It was all a bunch of foolishness that people had to get past.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I remember Kennedy’s campaign for the presidency as if it were yesterday. The kind of foolish ignorance expressed by those who viewed the Catholic Church as a threat to America was quite real but also quite baseless. Once Kennedy became president, most of the objections just evaporated under the bright white light of Kennedy himself and his glamorous well-educated wife.

It was all a bunch of foolishness that people had to get past.
If only people could adopt the same attitude towards allowing naturalized U.S. citizens to run for the U.S. Presidency!

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Therefore North Africans, Levantines and Anatolians - and possibly Iranians, Caucasians (from the Caucasus) and Afghans - are “white” as well under those classifications?
If not, please elaborate on that.
Yes, the US Census does consider these groups to be White. It's possible that this will change in 2030 (but certainly not in 2020), though.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Considering Italians are Europeans as well.
AFAIK, Italians actually were always considered White on the US Census. For instance, take a look at historical US Census entries for Americans who were born in Italy and see just how many of them are classified as being a race other than White. Not very many, I would assume.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I guess that this is where the term Bohunk comes from.
I've heard of the term "hunky," which was a bastardization of "Hungary," but, eventually, came to refer to anybody from central and eastern Europe, like Hungarians various Slavic groups. In Pittsburgh, this term was referenced into the 1980s. Ironically, "hunky" was used as the origin for the term "honky," which came to mean a white person. Those of us who lived through the 1960s and 1970s remember that term being freely used, back when political correctness did not exist. :)

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I've heard of the term "hunky," which was a bastardization of "Hungary," but, eventually, came to refer to anybody from central and eastern Europe, like Hungarians various Slavic groups. In Pittsburgh, this term was referenced into the 1980s. Ironically, "hunky" was used as the origin for the term "honky," which came to mean a white person. Those of us who lived through the 1960s and 1970s remember that term being freely used, back when political correctness did not exist. :)
Interesting.

BTW, off-topic, but it's interesting that Pittsburgh appears to have never experienced the White flight that various other US cities experienced. Are Polish-Americans more resilient? :)

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Interesting.

BTW, off-topic, but it's interesting that Pittsburgh appears to have never experienced the White flight that various other US cities experienced. Are Polish-Americans more resilient? :)
There was white flight, but of course all things are relative. The Polish Americans seem to integrate more readily than some other ethnic groups, like the Italians. What Pittsburgh does have is unique neighborhoods, due to the topography (hills, valleys or hollows, rivers, etc) and these neighborhoods still retain their ethnic flavor to this day - if not their dominant ethnic presence. For the Poles, Polish Hill and the Southside were the main neighborhoods. For the Italian, it is Bloomfield and it was Lincoln-Larimer, but that neighborhood no longer has an Italian presence. From the book, Lives of Their Own, Blacks, Poles and Italians in Pittsburgh, 1900-1960 (Bodnar, Simon and Weber), comes the following information (p.187):
in 1920, the city had a population of 588,343. Of that, 429,995 were native born, 37,725 were Black and a whopping 120,266 were foreign born. Italians and Polish were just about equally represented in that year, with there being 15,371 born in Italy and 15,537 born in Poland. My great grandfather and grandfather would have been part of that count, the former being born in Italy and the latter in what was eventually Poland. By 1960, the population of the city was 604,332. Natives whites were now 458,387, foreign born had dropped to 45,253 and the number of Blacks within the city had risen to 100,692. So, a slight increase in the city's population but a nearly triple increase in the Black population.

Similar History Discussions