Why Lyndon B. Johnson is the greatest president of the past 75 years.

Jul 2013
London
1. He stood up to and defeated the racist Southern democrats. He was successful in passing several legislation ranging from Civil rights, Voting rights, tax cuts, gun control etc that they had filibustered for years. Where Kennedy faltered and avoided picking a fight with the Dixiecrats, Johnson was phenomenal in dealing with Congress.

2. The economy was booming in his tenure. Economic growth averaged 5.5% from 1963-69 (a figure that has not been matched since).

3. Government revenue skyrocketed from $94 Billion in 1962 to $155 Billion by the time he left office.

4. Unemployment rate was at a record low 3.8% by the time he left office (A figure that has not been matched since..though Trump is close).

5. He left office with a budget surplus (this would not be achieved again until 1998).

6. Poverty rate fell by 42% in his tenure.

7. Medicare and Medicaid provided affordable medical care to million of old and underprivileged citizens.

8. His gun control act of 1968 is till now the most effective gun control legislation.

9. Head start program has helped millions of poor Americans to attend schools and colleges.

Reactions: Futurist

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I can't argue with most of that. Reducing the poverty rate by 42% is a little deceptive. Most of that reduction was achieved by increasing social security pensions. In 1960, people over 65 were the poorest age group in America. Today, they are the wealthiest. LBJ's social security increases are one reason why. I think senior citizen poverty is a deceptive statistic. You can't really compare an elderly couple whose children are grown and out of the house and whose mortgage is paid off to a young family of four with a mortgage. An elderly couple in good health can live a pretty good life on the same income that would starve a young family. I don't think a lot of those 1960 senior citizens were truly poor, and I don't think giving them more money was the best use of the public purse. And I say that as someone who is old enough and close enough to qualifying for social security that I can say that without committing age discrimination.

On the other side of all the good that LBJ did, there's also Vietnam and some of his Great Society programs are now viewed more skeptically than they were at the time.

Reactions: Futurist
Sep 2015
The Eastern Hinterlands
1. He stood up to and defeated the racist Southern democrats. He was successful in passing several legislation ranging from Civil rights, Voting rights, tax cuts, gun control etc that they had filibustered for years. Where Kennedy faltered and avoided picking a fight with the Dixiecrats, Johnson was phenomenal in dealing with Congress.

2. The economy was booming in his tenure. Economic growth averaged 5.5% from 1963-69 (a figure that has not been matched since).

3. Government revenue skyrocketed from $94 Billion in 1962 to $155 Billion by the time he left office.

4. Unemployment rate was at a record low 3.8% by the time he left office (A figure that has not been matched since..though Trump is close).

5. He left office with a budget surplus (this would not be achieved again until 1998).

6. Poverty rate fell by 42% in his tenure.

7. Medicare and Medicaid provided affordable medical care to million of old and underprivileged citizens.

8. His gun control act of 1968 is till now the most effective gun control legislation.

9. Head start program has helped millions of poor Americans to attend schools and colleges.
A man said to be a sociopath and a rumored murderer of his predecessor in the presidency is far from commendable.

Reactions: Phalo

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
There is no reliable evidence that Johnson was a sociopath. Plus, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the LBJ did not murder Kennedy.

Johnson has enough real sins. We don't have to invent fake ones.
I've read several books regarding theories of Johnson's possible role in the Kennedy assassination and it's all conjecture. "Landslide Lyndon" won election to the US Senate in 1948 by 84 votes, less than the number of dead people that voted for him. Once in the Senate he was a major power broker and became majority leader in his second term. He sought and lost the presidential nomination to Kennedy in 1960. Although he accepted the vice presidential nomination he quickly became disillusioned once entering office. Kennedy ignored him and the loss of power and influence was described as "intolerable". That's the basis of the conspiracy theories. No smoking gun except Oswald's.

Last edited:

dreamregent

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
Coastal Florida
This is his greatest legacy. It took real strength of character to confront his own bigotry and rally support from the political opposition to overcome the filibuster led by powerful members of his own party. In particular, his We Shall Overcome address is one of the finest examples of presidential oratory...ever.

Reactions: Dentatus
Oct 2018
US
Around 95% of what you cite is illegal, not being authorized by the Constitution. Possibly the greatest feat of political legerdemain in American History was the Voting (sic)Rights Act of 1965. Voting, Constitutionally speaking, is a privelege.

Again, illegal as not authorized by the Constitution.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk