- May 2014
These are all excellent points, though I would like to point out two of his downsides:1. He stood up to and defeated the racist Southern democrats. He was successful in passing several legislation ranging from Civil rights, Voting rights, tax cuts, gun control etc that they had filibustered for years. Where Kennedy faltered and avoided picking a fight with the Dixiecrats, Johnson was phenomenal in dealing with Congress.
2. The economy was booming in his tenure. Economic growth averaged 5.5% from 1963-69 (a figure that has not been matched since).
3. Government revenue skyrocketed from $94 Billion in 1962 to $155 Billion by the time he left office.
4. Unemployment rate was at a record low 3.8% by the time he left office (A figure that has not been matched since..though Trump is close).
5. He left office with a budget surplus (this would not be achieved again until 1998).
6. Poverty rate fell by 42% in his tenure.
7. Medicare and Medicaid provided affordable medical care to million of old and underprivileged citizens.
8. His gun control act of 1968 is till now the most effective gun control legislation.
9. Head start program has helped millions of poor Americans to attend schools and colleges.
1. Vietnam. He escalated the war there without a clear strategy as to how to win.
2. The US murder rate exploded under his watch:
I don't know just how much he is responsible for this as opposed to the Warren Court and other factors, though.