Why Lyndon B. Johnson is the greatest president of the past 75 years.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
1. He stood up to and defeated the racist Southern democrats. He was successful in passing several legislation ranging from Civil rights, Voting rights, tax cuts, gun control etc that they had filibustered for years. Where Kennedy faltered and avoided picking a fight with the Dixiecrats, Johnson was phenomenal in dealing with Congress.

2. The economy was booming in his tenure. Economic growth averaged 5.5% from 1963-69 (a figure that has not been matched since).

3. Government revenue skyrocketed from $94 Billion in 1962 to $155 Billion by the time he left office.

4. Unemployment rate was at a record low 3.8% by the time he left office (A figure that has not been matched since..though Trump is close).

5. He left office with a budget surplus (this would not be achieved again until 1998).

6. Poverty rate fell by 42% in his tenure.

7. Medicare and Medicaid provided affordable medical care to million of old and underprivileged citizens.

8. His gun control act of 1968 is till now the most effective gun control legislation.

9. Head start program has helped millions of poor Americans to attend schools and colleges.
These are all excellent points, though I would like to point out two of his downsides:

1. Vietnam. He escalated the war there without a clear strategy as to how to win.

2. The US murder rate exploded under his watch:

I don't know just how much he is responsible for this as opposed to the Warren Court and other factors, though.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
A man said to be a sociopath and a rumored murderer of his predecessor in the presidency is far from commendable.
"said to be" and "rumored". People can say any amount of things and start rumors, particularly in the political sphere. The OP points out certain relevant facts about his presidency, while you want to judge based on hearsay.

Reactions: Futurist
Oct 2015
Virginia
All perfectly constitutional, bi-partisan and absolutely necessary to the preservation of democracy. All now being undermined by anti-deluvian reactionaries who want march bravely back into the 1920 s. Good luck and enjoy the depression (and war?) that follows.
The Vietnam war destroyed Johnson and his reputation forever. He had courage to abandon his base for the good of the country. Can you imagine anyone doing that now?

Oct 2019
vietnam
LBJ is only praised at absolute level when Vietnam does not have Ho Chi Minh,
Ho Chi Minh defeated the United States, forcing the United States to sign the Paris Agreement and withdraw its troops from Vietnam.
Long live Ho Chi Minh

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
"said to be" and "rumored". People can say any amount of things and start rumors, particularly in the political sphere. The OP points out certain relevant facts about his presidency, while you want to judge based on hearsay.

Don't bring modern politics into this.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
LBJ is only praised at absolute level when Vietnam does not have Ho Chi Minh,
Ho Chi Minh defeated the United States, forcing the United States to sign the Paris Agreement and withdraw its troops from Vietnam.
Long live Ho Chi Minh

This is irrelevant to this thread. You want to praise Ho Chi Minh, start your own thread.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I don't understand. I didn't bring modern politics into it did I? I was commenting on someone else's judgement, apparently based on hearsay, of LBJ.
Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote the post after yours.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Well, from an external viewpoint, the most obvious competitor is Ronald Reagan.

Under LBJ administration "Free Europe" kept on risking to become a Soviet colony, under Reagan it became clear that we were going to be free for real. LBJ left the White House in 1969 and after him USSR and the Communist block kept on gaining kudos at planetary level ... after Reagan the USSR and the Communist block begun to disappear ... evidently LBJ did something wrong.