why Mughals are called Mughals/Mongols and not Timurids ?

Aug 2019
India
all of the Mughal kings starting from Babur to last king Bahadur Shah Zafar called theme selves Timurids or Ghurkhanis and even mild Emperor like Akbar was very proud that his family line is from Timur the Lame of Central Asia. yet why everyone else including Indians, Persians, Turks, Europeans and others referred them as Mughals over their Timurid Identity ?

Please note that most of the soldiers in Army of Babur were Karluk Turks, Persians and Afghans not mongols so i dont think that Mughals were called Mongols because of their Mongol Army.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
KL
The Timurid dynasty (Persian: تیموریان‎), self-designated as Gurkani (Persian: گورکانیان‎, Gūrkāniyān), was a Sunni Muslim[1] dynasty or clan of Turco-Mongol origin[2][3][4][5] descended from the warlord Timur (also known as Tamerlane). The word "Gurkani" derives from "Gurkan", a Persianized form of the Mongolian word "Kuragan" meaning "son-in-law".[6]
this is what i found from wikipedia, but i dont trust wikipedia so you can explore more on this issue.

regards

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Turks called it Baburids not Mughals (Babürlüler)
I suspect the Babürlüler is just a modern (Republican era?) Turkish name for them, at least I haven't found that name for them in the Ottoman sources I could check. They were generally just called as sultans or padishahs of Hind(istan), but sometimes also used their dynastic name, Gürgân(î).
Like Hümâyun was once called pâdişâh-i Gürgânî in Nev'îzâde Atâyî's Hadâiku'l-hakâik fî tekmileti'ş-Şekâik,
or in Evliya Çelebi's Seyahatnâme (10th vol.) he refers to the Mughal state as:
Tabaka-i sâdis-i devlet-i âl-i Cingiziyân, ya‘nî evlâd-ı Timur Gürgân pâdişâh-ı Hindistân u Sindistân (The sixth class/layer/generation state of the dynasty of Genghisids, i.e. the sons of Timur Gürgân, padishah/s/ of India and Sindh).

Last edited: