Why no camouflage patterns?

Dec 2017
Poland
Its more expensive when your running a large conscript army

Camouflage tends to be specific to one area. If your unit moves to another area they'll stand out more

Nukes dont care about pattern shading except for the crispy ones they leave on walls.

Well, of course you're telling the truth: if the soldiers are pawns, and the atomic explosions kill those pawns ... Yes, in this situation, every uniform is good. It is only important that the dirt is invisible on it, so that you do not have to throw it into the washing machine. Universal camouflage also does not exist - but modern uniforms are barely visible in the forest, in my opinion it is the minimum necessary. Soldiers have to hide effectively in training.

Depends on what you do and the environmental conditions obviously, but on the field it doesn't take long. Trust me, in some cases it is a matter of minutes...
Of course, you can even have a white shirt, then jump into the mud and crawl on the ground.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Uniforms were developed so you could tell your side from the other side. You wear bright red uniforms so you know not to shoot at them, but to shoot at the other guy wearing the blue uniforms. Getting shot by your own troops is a real risk, the Confederate General Stonewall Jackson was shot and killed by his own troops by mistake.

Camouflage makes it harder for the enrmy to see you, but it also makes it harder for your own troops to see you too. If you see a person in camouflage, how do you know whether he is the enrmy or on your side?

And camouflage that was designed for a jungle setting will still make you stick out in an urban settings.

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
I don't think that's right. Aircraft in 1914 were almost not a threat to ground forces yet dulled colours were already standard issue. It had more to do with the range of small arms and the fire effect of direct artillery and automatic weapons. I might also add that as a pilot I can confirm that spotting men on the ground is fine when they're standing out in the open and obvious, but men gone to ground in muddy clothes would be pretty much invisible in trench warfare conditions if they remained static.

Aug 2014
Australia
The world's first camouflage department was started by the French in Amiens in 1915. Their brief was to conceal equipment from aerial surveillance. Before that time there was use of dulled uniforms but there had been no systematic, scientific approach to concealment.

Last edited:
Oct 2012
The world's first camouflage department was started by the French in Amiens in 1915. Their brief was to conceal equipment from aerial surveillance. Before that time there was use of dulled uniforms but there had been no systematic, scientific approach to concealment.
Correct, but it was, as you wrote, to conceal equipment, not individual soldiers.

Aug 2014
Australia
I suppose it comes down to semantics. Coloured clothing designed to enhance concealment has been used for thousands of years but "camouflage", as a scientifically studied military application, never existed until 1915.

Similar History Discussions