Why Pakistan chose Urdu over Persian as it's National Language ?

Status
Closed
Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Abaseen, even Turkish and Iranian are IE languages. The semitic languages are different. But even there, there has been mixing. For example, Malik Mot in Judaism and Mrityu in Sanskrit (Maut in Urdu).

"marte haiñ aarzū meñ marne kī, maut aatī hai par nahīñ aatī ." (Mirza Ghalib)
Turkish is not an IE language .

It belongs to the Altaic Group of languages which includes Mongolian and Japanese as other branches. Here are few words and expressions which demonstrate the similarity betweenthe Western most and Eastern branch of this family.

altaic.JPG

Sorry should have read Kandal's comments before posting.

Reactions: Aupmanyav
Aug 2019
United States
Turkish is not an IE language .

It belongs to the Altaic Group of languages which includes Mongolian and Japanese as other branches. Here are few words and expressions which demonstrate the similarity betweenthe Western most and Eastern branch of this family.

View attachment 22483

Sorry should have read Kandal's comments before posting.
Turkic is indeed not an IE language and forms its own language family however the "Altaic" hypothesis has been disproven, it isn't a real linguistic family.

Shaheen

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Sweden
This is all news to me, having lived in Pakistan I've never observed such a system, Clarence Maloney needs to put out a 2019 edition :lol:
I have been confused so many times when Indian members have pointed out how Pakistanis are classified into "ashrafs??" and "ansari". Maybe these groups exist amongst North Indian Muslims but having been born and lived half my life in Pakistan, I had never heard of these two terms before joining Historum. The only vestige of the caste system that is left in Pakistan (at least in Punjab) are the Chura. They are however for the lack of a better term, visibly different than most other Punjabis. Dont get me wrong, many people take pride in their clan or biraderi as we say (rajput, chaudhry, arain etc), but nobody claims to be inherently better or higher than the other as you know already. I would argue the only reason why the negative bias towards the Chura exist is because like most other Asians, Pakistanis have an inherent bias towards lighter skin, and the Chura are in most cases dark skinned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abaseen
Aug 2019
United States
I have been confused so many times when Indian members have pointed out how Pakistanis are classified into "ashrafs??" and "ansari". Maybe these groups exist amongst North Indian Muslims but having been born and lived half my life in Pakistan, I had never heard of these two terms before joining Historum. The only vestige of the caste system that is left in Pakistan (at least in Punjab) are the Chura. They are however for the lack of a better term, visibly different than most other Punjabis. Dont get me wrong, many people take pride in their clan or biraderi as we say (rajput, chaudhry, arain etc), but nobody claims to be inherently better or higher than the other as you know already. I would argue the only reason why the negative bias towards the Chura exist is because like most other Asians, Pakistanis have an inherent bias towards lighter skin, and the Chura are in most cases dark skinned.
Yeah this "ashraf" and "ajlaf" thing never made sense to me and I've lived in Karachi and Lahore and even have so called "ashraf" relatives but never knew this was a thing.

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
Discussions relating to the genesis of national identity and the spread of language are inherently linked to ethnicity.
No. For example:

Urdu being the national language of Pakistan makes sense. After all, Punjabi and Sindhi Pakistanis are the descendants of Sudra tribes and Islamic invaders. A mix of Indic and Islamic much like Urdu.
Lol you think I'm an Indian nationalist? How quaint. C'mon bro, it's a fact of history. Pakistan (or rather the region that's is now called Pakistan) has spent most of its history being colonised by foreign invaders (not a single native empire). And the Punjab region has the largest population of Scheduled castes in South Asia. Naturally these populations have mixed together forming the beautiful Pakistani people.
You did not need to bring in Dalits/Harijan/Sudra/Scheduled Caste (or whatever fancy name you call these human beings) into the discussion.

Your continual reference to them in attempt to slight others (Pakistanis in this instance) just shows that Indians collectively consider these hapless people as something inferior.

This is racism.

Reactions: Abaseen

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
From what I know all South Asians are obsessed with caste system, regardless of religion.
You know wrong. This disease faded away into extinction from Bangladesh since parting away from India. Which also proves that the totally un-Islamic Ashraf-Atraf division was product of racist Hindu casteism, and once separated from Hindu dominant setting that division duly disappeared totally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaheen and Abaseen
Jan 2019
Valencia
You did not need to bring in Dalits/Harijan/Sudra/Scheduled Caste (or whatever fancy name you call these human beings) into the discussion.
It is directly relevant to the discussion. We are talking about the arrival of Islamic culture to North-Western South Asia (Pakistan). These groups were outside of the caste system eg the Jatts of Sindh and therefore more open to Islam. If such facts are hurtful then that is not my issue.

Status
Closed