Why Pakistan chose Urdu over Persian as it's National Language ?

Status
Closed

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
no mate, im not sure about hindi even the common words in urdu have a lot of persian words, i do know that there are a lot of both persian and prakrit words in urdu for instance suraj/shams, chand/qamar, aag/atish, but still if we subtract the persian words for which we have prakrit word there are aweful lot of persian words for which there simply isnt any prakritic substitute. There were also persian words which were especially constructed for indian subcontinent use, for instance pajama, darbar/court etc, durbar is a word which is even used in nepal which had no islamic occupation like their durbar square, durbar is a word not attested in persian language itself and has been formed by two persian words like dar for door. All this seem to indicate persian seeping through prakrit for a long period of time, durbar is also attested first in pre mughal era of tughlaq sultanate, so you dont try to blame mughals for this. There are also minor attestation of prakrit seeping through persian for instance kurtah, which is a sanskrit word, it is thought that kurtah is simply persian word loaned in prakrit but i think its the other way around. pajama was constructed in india and was adopted by persians, so there is even an evidence a persian word being constructed moving westward into its native persia. Persian language was also adopted by the sikh empire, why would they do it, if no for persian becoming an elite language not only for the muslims but also for the non muslims of ISC?

regards
Hindi has words even from Portuguese and French languages, so there was small amount of Persian, Arabic and Turkish words entering Hindi-Urdu. Sikh Empire was a successor Empire to Muslim rule.

Jan 2019
Valencia
Over the last 5 years or so, I am increasingly seeing Pakistanis claim 'Indus' origin and that Pakistan is a continuation of 'Indus' civilization. To be honest this is certainly better than claiming perso-arabic/central asian origin especially when 75% or so pakistanis will not be able to have a normal conversation with either arabs or persians.
This was a trend started on defence.pk and it's quite hilarious. The IVC was discovered by British researchers in the early 20th century and prior to that not a single Pakistani had any awareness of its existence. So not only is Pakistan, the nation, the result of the British, but their identity as well is now the result of British researchers!:lol:

There is also a trend of Pakistanis claiming Ancient Indian history for example, Chanakaya, Chandragupta Maurya, Aryabhatta etc were all supposedly "Ancient Pakistanis". I've also heard that the Buddha was also an "Ancient Pakistani" from Taxila. Pakistanis should be researched thoroughly as they are well and truly a great test study into the effects of a lack of identity.

Mar 2019
KL
This was a trend started on defence.pk and it's quite hilarious. The IVC was discovered by British researchers in the early 20th century and prior to that not a single Pakistani had any awareness of its existence. So not only is Pakistan, the nation, the result of the British, but their identity as well is now the result of British researchers!:lol:

There is also a trend of Pakistanis claiming Ancient Indian history for example, Chanakaya, Chandragupta Maurya, Aryabhatta etc were all supposedly "Ancient Pakistanis". I've also heard that the Buddha was also an "Ancient Pakistani" from Taxila. Pakistanis should be researched thoroughly as they are well and truly a great test study into the effects of a lack of identity.
it is not much different than lets say subhash kak claiming that the yazidis are ancient hindus or should i say infact far worse, seeing how a hindu yogi CM of UP stopped the maintenance of taj mahal and claiming that the monument had nothing to do with the indian culture and how all india's islamic history ruthlessly discarded, i would rather say that the identity crises of the indians is far worse than pakistanis, atleast pakistanis are owning their pre islamic scholars, will hindus ever own lets say amir khusrow etc while they keep owning total strangers like yazidhis, mayans as ''vedic people'' etc.

regards

Last edited:
Jun 2017
usa
it is not much different than lets say subhash kak claiming that the yazidis are ancient hindus or should i say infact far worse, seeing how a hindu yogi CM of UP stopped the maintenance of taj mahal and claiming that the monument had nothing to do with the indian culture and how all india's islamic history ruthlessly discarded, i would rather say that the identity crises of the indians is far worse than pakistanis, atleast pakistanis are owning their pre islamic scholars, will hindus ever own lets say amir khusrow etc while they keep owning total strangers like yazidhis, mayans as ''vedic people'' etc.

regards

Holidays on all the Eids, Urdu as a national language, many islamic monuments given national heritage status. Enough said!
Whether Yazidis are ancient hindus or not, their lives have been made hell by the Muslims.
Why should Hindus celebrate Arabic culture?

Jun 2017
usa
because hindus are living with millions of muslims, who have ruled india for hundreds of years and have left their permanent foot print on indian culture, now deal with it.

regards
No you have to deal with the fact that India is the land of Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism. As much as we respect the Muslim people and consider them Indian, we cannot have a smaller version of Saudi Arabia in India.That is what Pakistan was made for.
Please visit Mohammed Ali road in Mumbai on a friday. And look! We even have roads named after Muslims!! In fact we had Aurungzeb road in Delhi. Pathetic!

Sep 2014
Texas
sanskrit was the lingua franca before persian was imposed during foreign rule, in my opinion if babur had not displaced dehli sultanate and repersianised the bureaucracy, it eventually would have led to hindi/urdu start dominating the court language again, as soon as persian patronage ended, so did the era of persian language in india, the language was solely patronised by the royalty and couldn't have survived without that patronage, even though urdu has been heavily persianised due to such a long period, yet it maintains its prakrit integrity which just shows that the language was powerful enough to sustain a long period of persian influence. Even during such a royal patronage, the prakrit and sanskrit literature outnumbered the persian literature by a huge margin, not to mention the various vernacular language literature from south india such as kannada etc.

persian is not an official language simply because it is an alien language to majority of pakistanis, the afghans even during the pre persian period were used to indo aryan languages like gandhari, sanskrit so indo aryan languages enjoyed quite a lot of history even in regions which speak pushto today.

regards
wasn't Aramaic the lingua franca of the Persian Empire?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
because hindus are living with millions of muslims, who have ruled india for hundreds of years and have left their permanent foot print on indian culture, now deal with it.
We are happy about Muslim culture. They are citizens of India. But no reason why we should forget our own. Taj's maintinance cannot be stopped. I do not think you are correctly informed. Yogi is popular among Muslims in Gorakhpur . There is no discrimination at the Math on basis of religions.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Urdu is the Muslim variant of Hindi, Hindus have their own linguistic traditions with Hindi. Urdu is an Indian heritage and Indians should oppose Pakistanis from stealing Indian heritage either its Urdu or cuisine that origin from Indian cities like Delhi, Lucknow or Hyderabad. If common religion give them right to claim Urdu, then Albanian or Azeri language can also become Pakistan's national language.

Status
Closed