Why so few non-italian popes?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
The Catholic Church has lost huge chunks of territory to Islam, Orthodox Christianity, and Protestantism. It also expanded into northeastern Europe and Latin America.

I think a high percentage of the cardinals were from Italy. They kept picking Italian popes and the popes kept appointing Italian cardinals.

After 450 years of all Italian popes, there have been 3 non-Italian popes. I think it is unlikely there will be many Italian popes in the next 200 years.

Feb 2014
Kingdom of the Netherlands
I do not intend to linger to much on this. Let's go back on track. Between the 17th century and the 20th century there have been no non-italian popes. This means no popes from non-italian origin for 400 years. However before and after this period it happened on occasion that a non-italian pope was indeed elected. That splits my question into two. First my original question, why so few non-italian popes. My second question, why this sudden gap?

Feb 2014
The Catholic Church has lost huge chunks of territory to Islam, Orthodox Christianity, and Protestantism. It also expanded into northeastern Europe and Latin America.

I think a high percentage of the cardinals were from Italy. They kept picking Italian popes and the popes kept appointing Italian cardinals.

After 450 years of all Italian popes, there have been 3 non-Italian popes. I think it is unlikely there will be many Italian popes in the next 200 years.
Im still researching on this subject so I am not quite sure about this. But did every country within the catholic faith not at least receive one cardinals hat?

Nov 2009
Outer world
I have always thought that the nationality of Popes doesn't really matter: at least in Italy we don't really care whether the Pope is either Polish or German.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Im still researching on this subject so I am not quite sure about this. But did every country within the catholic faith not at least receive one cardinals hat?
I think that Pope Paul VI appointed more non-Italian cardinals. I don't know where you get statistics on this, but I believe that in the 450 years of Italian popes there was a high percentage of Italian cardinals.

Feb 2014
I have always thought that the nationality of Popes doesn't really matter: at least in Italy we don't really care whether the Pope is either Polish or German.
I personally have no opinion towards the justice or righteness of an Italian or non-Italian pope. However it is odd that the numbers are like this. You would at least expect from the most powerful neighbors such as Austria, France and Spain to pressure for pope of their nationality. Did Rome not distance itself to its outer regions by keeping the papal crown within the Italian peninsula.

Feb 2014
I think that Pope Paul VI appointed more non-Italian cardinals. I don't know where you get statistics on this, but I believe that in the 450 years of Italian popes there was a high percentage of Italian cardinals.
Did I say I got that comment from statistics? I would expect that this was the case, I never said I was sure nor researched that particular comment.

Aug 2011
Gaillimh (Ireland)
Our current Pope is from South America.

During the late medieval/early modern period the majority of the cardinals in the conclave were from the Italian states. cardinals from the Italian states also held the most influential position in the Curia (like Dean of the College of Cardinals or Vice-Chancellor...) and had therefore usually more wealth (the most lucrative churches were in Italy) and more influence than cardinals outside the Italian peninsula.
The election of a pope was a huge political game, in where the interests of the main Roman noble families played an important role, so it was vital for a cardinal to be well-connected to the Roman world...And since most of the "foreign" cardinals lacked this vital element (they usually spent way less time in Rome than cardinals from the Italian peninsula), they had very few chances of obtaining Peter's ring for themselves.

Similar History Discussions