Why so few non-italian popes?

Jul 2016
Europe/Switzerland/Ticino
"Catholic" means universale.
The ancient Christian churches all venerate Saint Peter as a major saint and associate him with founding the Church in Rome.
At that time ROME was the center of the World..
1.500.000 people.

The term Roman Catholic is not used by the Church herself; it is a relatively modern term, and one, moreover, that is confined largely to the English language. The English-speaking bishops at the First Vatican Council in 1870, in fact, conducted a vigorous and successful campaign to insure that the term Roman Catholic was nowhere included in any of the Council's official documents about the Church herself, and the term was not included.
Similarly, nowhere in the 16 documents of the Second Vatican Council will you find the term Roman Catholic. Pope Paul VI signed all the documents of the Second Vatican Council as "I, Paul. Bishop of the Catholic Church." Simply that -- Catholic Church. There are references to the Roman curia, the Roman missal, the Roman rite, etc., but when the adjective Roman is applied to the Church herself, it refers to the Diocese of Rome!
Cardinals, for example, are called cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, but that designation means that when they are named to be cardinals they have thereby become honorary clergy of the Holy Father's home diocese, the Diocese of Rome. Each cardinal is given a titular church in Rome, and when the cardinals participate in the election of a new pope. they are participating in a process that in ancient times was carried out by the clergy of the Diocese of Rome.

Oct 2016
Erewhon
Yes Peter was the rock, and Peter was in Rome/Babylon later on. But the catholic/papal "Peter" is not the christian biblical Peter. Their "Peter" (white bushy beard) is really Nero The Roman Emperors and the early "Popes", 1 - All Empires - EBooks , "public enemy" (as they still are now).
The church was founded in Jerusalem not Rome. "Ephesus" church age of Revelation is Jerusalem. Smyrna is around the time of persecutions (the 10 days is Diocletian 10 years persecution, or 10 persecutions from Nero to Dioceltian. Pergamum church age is Rome. ("Antipas" may be Telemachus/Almachus?)
I can't believe the vatican is still pushing the old "Peter" trick since we have now exposed the early popes list and their "Peter" as a fake.
Roman "church" "herself" = harlot Babylon of Revelation (centre of global free trade). Rome was not christian offically until after Constantine and [Theodosius?]

The Vatican/Catholic "church" is universal (& Rome the "cosmopolis") in that it secretly rules the world (Pope gave Q Elizabeth orb with cross on top which bbc said symbolises "christian" royal power over the world/globe). But no it is not universal in that only the elite Patricians/Peters have it good while they stomp down and poison etc us "plebeians"/Pauls.

(Switzerland seems to be a Roman/Vatican stronghold? No offense, but its not always easy to know who is or isn't secretly Roman these days.)

(I asked them to stop forcing their fluoridated (Roman word) water on me but they refuse, so i have no qualms about exposing their evil here now.)

Last edited:
Jul 2016
Europe/Switzerland/Ticino
The church was founded in Jerusalem not Rome.
Do you think that Sinedrio could have allowed someone to establish a heretical Church in Jerusalem ?

The Vatican/Catholic "church" is universal (& Rome the "cosmopolis") in that it secretly rules the world (Pope gave Q Elizabeth orb with cross on top which bbc said symbolises "christian" royal power over the world/globe).
Queen Elisabeth. II . on the top of Anglican Church ?

Oct 2016
Erewhon
Do you think that Sinedrio could have allowed someone to establish a heretical Church in Jerusalem ?
I don't see how anyone can easily stop an inspired unofficial private association of people.
Read the New Testament, they did do so.

1st church of Ephesus ("desirable"/"overseer/rule") (Ephesus in Revelation 2 and in history was: visited/founded by Paul, epistle of Ephesians, "apostles", capital of Ionia, on Aegean sea [Mediterranean], zealous, one of chief centres of Eastern church / important centre of christianity /Christian centre of Asia, important commercial city, capital of province of Asia, importance as a religious centre, temple Artemis/Diana [~ Mother Goddess], substantial Jewish population, home of Timothy, John, noted for commerce, learning, architecture, Nicolatines)

The meaning and details seem to imply that Ephesus as a church age matches Jerusalem/Jews in biblical & historical. The NT says "from Jerusalem" to the world.

Queen Elisabeth. II . on the top of Anglican Church ?
From Julius Caesar to Western Roman Emperors, Britannia under Roman empire.

From Whitby synod to Henry 8th UK church was under Rome.

"2010: Pope Benedict XVI received by Queen Elizabeth at Holyrood Palace at the start of his state visit to Great Britain."
2010 Pope Benedict addresses both houses UK Parliament

When the Queen Elizabeth and prince Philip visited the pope in 2014 he (the pope) gave them a gift for their grandchild of an orb with cross on top. The BBC news article said of this that "The orb is an emblem of royal power which the ancient Romans used to represent the universe, before it was adapted by Christians who added a cross on top to represent the world under Christianity."

2015 my Popes/Emperors discovery made & published
2016 UK withdraws from EU.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Italian????

What are the explanations that there have been so few non-italian popes. For example my country (the Netherlands) and England have only had 1 pope both, Spain only 2, Germany, Poland and Portugal not that many more. The only countries with a reasonable amount of popes outside Italy are Syria, France and Greece. Especially in early modern history there have been almost no non-italian popes. If I recall correctly the Italians did not have a majority of the Cardinals in the curia alone, or did they?

Do any of you have good explanations for this?
Technically the Pope is the bishop of Rome and in the pasts bishops were an expression of the local churches. So it was quite obvious that the Popes were local [not "Italian" ... before of the unification, the future Italian Kingdom was an enemy for the Popes ... Italians had to conquer Rome to have it as Capital, just defeating the Papal Army].

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Well, among the most Catholic countries there are also Spain and Portugal to record not a great number of Popes [1 for Spain and 1 for Portugal].

France and Greece are the dominating lands [leaving Italian lands a part: about the 80% of Popes have come from Italian lands].

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Stalin would have made a fine pope, if i do say so myself. I can't think of one Russian pope tho
In Russia the Orthodox Church has got its one pope. The division between Eastern and Western Church was political, not doctrinal and theological [like it was for the Reform]. Still today, when immigrants from East Europa arrive in Italy they find the Catholic Church really similar to the Orthodox one [and the believers go to Catholic Churches without troubles].

But religiosity in Russia is quite low and politically a Russian pope wouldn't be that great choice. It would be a hopeful gesture, I could say.

Similar History Discussions