Why Sweden abolished in 1974 the kings prerogative to grant nobility titles?

Apr 2013
Romania
I found it very weird, since Sweden is still a monarchy. We all know that UK and Spain grant titles for its extraordinary citizens that are very good in their fields of work like arts, sport, charity work, medicine, writers etc. Even my country which is a republic, grants medals for its extraordinary people. I think Sweden doesnt know what it wants. They mantain the monarchy but they seem to like to be a republic. Then why are not a republic?:suspicious:

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
The Swedish monarchy is quite popular these days. It was quite a lot less so in the 1970's. The Social Democrats, who were politically dominant at the time, used to have a republic on their party agenda. But since the monarchy due to the reforms of the 1970's has become a purely ceremonial ornamentation, and is popular, they quietly dropped it a couple of decades ago.

No one was ennobled since the 1950's, the explorer and travel-writer Sven Hedin being the last to be so honored. Considering Hedin doted on the Kaiser in WWI and supported Hitler in WWII, it has been quietly felt that the whole business of making nobles might as well be allowed to lapse with that troublesome character.

It's not as if the privileges of the nobility survived the 19th c., and the nobility lost all power bases independent of the state already in the 17th anyway.

It's not THAT incongruous up in the Nordic lands. Norway is also a monarchy. And unlike Sweden which had a nobility, Norway has NEVER had any nobles. Kings but no nobles makes all kinds of egalitarian sense in the Scandinavian conception of monarchy.

In Sweden historically the political aspirations of the commoners and the king used to make common cause against the interests of the hereditary nobility. Modernity in Scandinavia might, among many things, also be understod as the final resolution of conflict between commoners+the king vs the nobility, with the nobles ceasing to exist, leaving the kings in a merely ceremonial role with a sovereign people running a popular democracy.

Republicanism is something else entirely, though the Finns have gone for it. But then that happened due to the Finns opting out of being the subjects of his Imperial Russian Majesty.

Oct 2015
Norway
It's not THAT incongruous up in the Nordic lands. Norway is also a monarchy. And unlike Sweden which had a nobility, Norway has NEVER had any nobles. Kings but no nobles makes all kinds of egalitarian sense in the Scandinavian conception of monarchy.
Norway did have nobility before the constitution in 1814. Not many because of the limited natural resources at the time, and they were very much influenced and intermarried with the Danish nobility. The constitution let the nobles keep their titles the rest of their lives, but no-one born after 1814 could use the titles of their families.

Apr 2013
Romania
In Sweden historically the political aspirations of the commoners and the king used to make common cause against the interests of the hereditary nobility. Modernity in Scandinavia might, among many things, also be understod as the final resolution of conflict between commoners+the king vs the nobility, with the nobles ceasing to exist, leaving the kings in a merely ceremonial role with a sovereign people running a popular democracy.
Thank you for the information. I know some basic history of Sweden and that is why I never understood.

Norway did have nobility before the constitution in 1814. Not many because of the limited natural resources at the time, and they were very much influenced and intermarried with the Danish nobility. The constitution let the nobles keep their titles the rest of their lives, but no-one born after 1814 could use the titles of their families.
Wait a minute Norway didnt become independent in 1905? I mean they were for centuries under danish and then they were part of Sweden. Their nobility was danish and left when Denmark lost Norway.
By the way I respect norway people and government that lifted their country out of poverty after WW2, instead of sitting on their asses and cry, like many in East Europe, Africa and Asia still do. Some countries have 50-100 years of independence and still blame colonial powers and empires for their misfortunes. Also now everyones prefered target is USA. Corrupt politicians like to blame everyone but themselves for their countries misfortunes. Also I discovered that not many know that some West European countries never had empires but they were occupaid themselves by others(Norway, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Finland etc).

Oct 2015
Norway
Norway was ruled by the King of Denmark for about four hundred years. After the Napoleonic wars it was decided by the victors that Denmark would lose Norway to Sweden. The country ended up under Swedish control from 1814 to 1905, but the country was ruled according to the Norwegian constitution from 1814.
Sweden has a much stronger tradition for having a noble class than we do. Even some of the names in politics today are old noble names such as Blix (I think)
Norway has a tradition of "many self owned houses, but very few castles".

You have to remember that Norway and the other European countries not under Soviet control in 1945 got enormous help from the US Marshall plan. There are also other factors such as a democratic tradition and a well-eductated population.

Last edited:
Apr 2013
Romania
You have to remember that Norway and the other European countries not under Soviet control in 1945 got enormous help from the US Marshall plan.
In the fight against communism USA helped with money many countries not only Western Europe, the problem is that those other countries leaders were corrupt and put the money in their pockets.
The same thing happens in East Europe today. My country is in EU, but the government doesnt use the money from EU to improve things because those money cant be stealed. If they cant put some of it in their pockets , then is not worth it. On the oher hand from the state budget is much easy to steal. That is a reason people around here want dictatorships, at least is one guy that dictates everything ,not an entire parlament.Look at Belarus or Russia.Even Hungary is on its way.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
In the fight against communism USA helped with money many countries not only Western Europe, the problem is that those other countries leaders were corrupt and put the money in their pockets.
The same thing happens in East Europe today. My country is in EU, but the government doesnt use the money from EU to improve things because those money cant be stealed. If they cant put some of it in their pockets , then is not worth it. On the oher hand from the state budget is much easy to steal. That is a reason people around here want dictatorships, at least is one guy that dictates everything ,not an entire parlament.Look at Belarus or Russia.Even Hungary is on its way.
Don't denigrate Romania, my friend. If you know concrete cases of corruption, please do inform "the authorized institutions". Corruption is everywhere, but others do something better than spitting on their own country.

Last edited:
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
We're a bit off topic now, but OK. Corruption exists in every country, but to very different degrees:

Speaking in corruption my country is not behind, with jeitinho must be the most evolved of the Latin countries of europe so it was with technology here we are zero, who speaks as I did not lie

Apr 2013
Romania
Don't denigrate Romania, my friend.
I dont denigrate no one, I just tell it how it is. You want us to just pretend that everything is ok? No it isnt ok. We had politicians ,even a former president that insulted people on live tv.In a civilized country their political carrers will be over. Dont be fooled that we have a couple big cities that copy western lifestyle, the majority of Romania is rural and backwards.Compared to ours, Norway or Sweden villages are towns. Im saying this things because I am also a patriot and I want that Romania improved herself. And we can do that because we have a rich country , the problem is the faulty management of the country. No wonder people have communist nostalgia.Even, Iron Guard legionar movement nostalgia reappeared.Also look at our neighbours, where strong hand governments began to appear (Hungary for example). Before WW2 we were democratic too, but then we had to follow the european trend as well.

Similar History Discussions