Why was 'aetheopius' left out of the original iliad?

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
That's a good point, there are two different groups of Ethiopians in the Odyssey, one group evidently corresponding with those mentioned in the Iliad and living in the remote East, and the others presumably in the West (perhaps by the sunset?); I remember reading an interesting article about this a long time ago, I will look to see if I have a reprint of it somewhere.

Jul 2017
Crete
West of Greece is Italy & Sicily, these places are associated with Blacksmiths, known as Cyclops in Greek mythology, another word with the Ops- suffix, According too Theocritus , the Cyclops lived around Mount Etna,

The Black in blacksmith refers too the black fire scale when heating Iron.

Statue of a Cyclops at the Natural History Museum in London
According to a hymn of Callimachus,[17] they were Hephaestus' helpers at the forge. The cyclopes were said to have built the "cyclopean" fortifications at Tiryns and Mycenae in the Peloponnese. The noises proceeding from the heart of volcanoes were attributed to their operations.
Most of the active volcanoes around the Mediterranean are in Italy.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Indeed, for Homer the Aethiopians ('Burnt-faces') are a purely mythical people who live at the edges of the earth, either in the far east or the far west and thus close to where the sun comes closest ot the earth at its rising and setting.

May 2018
On earth.
The Aetheopian from the Homer's century had surely nothing to do with subsaharan African.
Indeed, for Homer the Aethiopians ('Burnt-faces') are a purely mythical people who live at the edges of the earth, either in the far east or the far west and thus close to where the sun comes closest ot the earth at its rising and setting.
To state this with so much certainty is pretty misleading. It is completely plausible that these 'Aethiopians' did have something to do with 'sub-saharan' 'black' Africa even in the Era of Homer, even moreso depending on when you believe he lived. Those peoples living in Sudan / Southern Egypt have had contact with the outside ancient world through Egypt since even the era of Kerman civilization.
This isn't a guaranteed true, but it also isn't guaranteed false.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
To state this with so much certainty is pretty misleading. It is completely plausible that these 'Aethiopians' did have something to do with 'sub-saharan' 'black' Africa even in the Era of Homer, even moreso depending on when you believe he lived. Those peoples living in Sudan / Southern Egypt have had contact with the outside ancient world through Egypt since even the era of Kerman civilization.
This isn't a guaranteed true, but it also isn't guaranteed false.
This is merely what is indicated in the Homeric epics themselves. Esp. Od. 1.21ff, a people split into two at the furthermost limits of the world, part living where Helios rises and part where he sets (i.e. at the extreme east and extreme west). Il 23.206, the live by the Ocean (i.e. the river that was supposed to encircle the edges of the earth), c.f Il 1.423ff. They are presented as hardly being accessible to human beings, living as they do at the edges of the earth, but as associating with deities who visit them (Zeus, Poseidon, Iris), a clear indication that they are a purely mythical people who live in a mythical realm. It is of course possible that the Greeks knew of black Africans at the time when the Homeric epics were written, but the Ethiopians who are mentioned in tose epics are plainly not regarded as being ordinary people who live to southward in Africa.

Dec 2018
Cheyenne
When I was in Denver a long time ago, I was hanging out at a bar with a bunch of Greeks, and to a one they seemed to believe that ancient Greeks were blond, but it was the admixture of Turkish blood that caused them to become dark-haired! Apparently for some, the Trojan War continues.
I have a Grecian friend, he has dark skin, darker than mine (half-Irish, half black) with sandy blonde hair and blue eyes. Needless to say he is a hit with the opposite sex the lucky bastard.

May 2018
On earth.
This is merely what is indicated in the Homeric epics themselves. Esp. Od. 1.21ff, a people split into two at the furthermost limits of the world, part living where Helios rises and part where he sets (i.e. at the extreme east and extreme west). Il 23.206, the live by the Ocean (i.e. the river that was supposed to encircle the edges of the earth), c.f Il 1.423ff. They are presented as hardly being accessible to human beings, living as they do at the edges of the earth, but as associating with deities who visit them (Zeus, Poseidon, Iris), a clear indication that they are a purely mythical people who live in a mythical realm. It is of course possible that the Greeks knew of black Africans at the time when the Homeric epics were written, but the Ethiopians who are mentioned in tose epics are plainly not regarded as being ordinary people who live to southward in Africa.
It is important to remember that even peoples who the greeks knew existed in real life were often mythologized, especially if contact with them was sparse. So I repeat that the mere fact that Ethiopians were mythologized does not directly mean that they were not known of, and that they were not referred to in Homer's text.

Similar History Discussions