Why was America's standing Army so small in the early 20th Century?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
This work for the US due to their favorable strategic geography
the draw back is that it take a couple of years to ramp up competent officers and NCO
the US always had the time ,
now with its global deployment , the readiness level is raised , it require more trained personnel
well that's the theory anyway
before the opponent had to cross oceans , now it's the US armed forces which has to cross them

morality , choose your fights carefully

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
IMO they(as in the founding fathers) were smarter then we are in some aspects, including how to properly speak about a foreign country. Thomas Jefferson was a highly skilled diplomat. I think that the leading GOP candidates of today are terrible when it comes to foreign relations. Jefferson conducted himself with proper manners, as a gentlemen would. Trump, Cruz and Rubio talk like they are children when it comes to foreign policy.
Jefferson, who conducted an undeclared war on Muslin terrorists, is somehow unlike Republicans starting in the Bush I era? LOL. If that were an intentional joke, it would not be so funny..

Reactions: Rodger

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Jefferson, who conducted an undeclared war on Muslin terrorists, is somehow unlike Republicans starting in the Bush I era? LOL. If that were an intentional joke, it would not be so funny..
Some people badly need a history lesson more than others I guess.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Thats not history. Jefferson and Envoys from Tunisia talked together as gentlemen. Re read through the thread links.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I fairly recently read a book on the Spanish American War and I think I'm right in saying that before Cuba came on the horizon there was only an army of about 26-27,000, spread around the US. There was a sudden massive recruitment which led to some pretty shambolic tactics and events during the invasion, when you look into it. Only the even more shambolic behaviour of the Spanish command facilitated a successful US mission. There is a reason Teddy's Rough Riders charge is remembered - it had to be done!
Yes, and they attacked San Juan Hill on foot. Teddy recruited and trained his Rough Riders in San Antonio at Ft Sam Houston.