why was india not known for silk production?

even though silk production in india has been done since ancient times and evidences show silk production as early as indus valley civilization why was indian silk not as famous in the western markets as its cotton products? why did the west prefer chinese silk over the indian silk? were indian silk only manufactured for making saares for instance and not intended for global exports? India was considerably closer to the western markets and a major trade hub compared to china so if indians were making silk, why it was not imported from india instead?

On the contrary it looks like India was importing silk from china. I've came across references of Chinese silk being treated as luxury goods in India.
can you post those references, because i find that strange, since indians were manufacturing their own silk. i also dont know the difference between indian and chinese silk, is their any good source which elaborates on it?

regards

Apr 2019
India
I'm sorry I can't quote any reliable source for you but I've found mention of Chinese silk in Sanskrit drama/poetry like in Malti-Madhav by Bhavabhuti. Chinese silk was prepared for the minister's daughter's wedding on the order of the king.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Then it'a a bit of a mystery ,
I cannot think of any reason why the silk worm cultivation was not widespread
maybe religious stricture ?