Why was Nefertiti spared by History?

Mar 2014
Lost in Yharnam
Shammuramat (Semiramis) and Cleopatra VII were wholly slandered by history, becoming legends of dirty sexuality and perfidy.

Nefertiti, however, very beautiful and wife of one terrible pharaoh, who committed grave heresy in a religious kingdom, and weakened the nation politically (to the delight of the Hittites), two excellent reasons for slander, has always been highly respected, or at least, spared

It may be said that Cleopatra offended the West, but Shammuramat did not.

Even if the Egyptian elite tried to suppress the heretic couple history, it seems to me unlikely that Egyptian travelers did not spread stories about their evil queen. And this is how the legends come about.

PS: Sorry for the grammar mistakes, english is not my first language

Last edited:
Jun 2014
VA
Ain't Nobody Got Time For That
I don't have much time to post here but the answer to your question is a simple one.

1. She was Queen Consort not Queen Regnant. How many Queen Consorts not married to Henry VIII could you mention at all?

2. I am unaware of her being important to Ancient Egyptians. History spares her because she is an ancient Egyptian who's life we could study who from what we know never did anything bad.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
There is the alternative theory the she became not only Co-Regent, but even a male Pharaoh after the death of Akhenaten [Smenkhkare would have been her new name].

This long discussion about some objects found in Tut's tomb can give an insight about how Nefertiti played her cards in the obscure Amarna period [obscure because the following Pharaohs tried and erase the memory of that dynasty, Nefertiti included].

http://historum.com/ancient-history/124711-akhenaten-box-carter-archive-001k.html

Mar 2014
Lost in Yharnam
I don't have much time to post here but the answer to your question is a simple one.

1. She was Queen Consort not Queen Regnant. How many Queen Consorts not married to Henry VIII could you mention at all?

2. I am unaware of her being important to Ancient Egyptians. History spares her because she is an ancient Egyptian who's life we could study who from what we know never did anything bad.
1- Marie Antoinette was Queen Consort too...... And maybe Nefertiri becomes true pharaoh after Akhenaten's death

2- Her husband was one of the worst pharaohs in Egyptian history, she was portrayed in various arts close to him, she did not go unnoticed in life

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
1- Marie Antoinette was Queen Consort too...... And maybe Nefertiri becomes true pharaoh after Akhenaten's death

2- Her husband was one of the worst pharaohs in Egyptian history, she was portrayed in various arts close to him, she did not go unnoticed in life
You see, there is something which seems a Masonic secret about Nefertiti:

her complete name.

Neferneferuaten Nefertiti.

Well, the possible Co-Regent of Akhenaten [and eventually his successor] was Ankhkheperure Neferneferuaten and the successor was Ankhkheperure Smenkhkare.

It's like a metamorphosis ... Neferneferuaten is the first linkage, Ankhkheperure is the second linkage.

And remember that Ankhkheperure Neferneferuaten was "beloved" by Akhenaten [who was beloved by Akhenaten? Nefertiti ...].

Mar 2014
Lost in Yharnam
You see, there is something which seems a Masonic secret about Nefertiti:

her complete name.

Neferneferuaten Nefertiti.

Well, the possible Co-Regent of Akhenaten [and eventually his successor] was Ankhkheperure Neferneferuaten and the successor was Ankhkheperure Smenkhkare.

It's like a metamorphosis ... Neferneferuaten is the first linkage, Ankhkheperure is the second linkage.

And remember that Ankhkheperure Neferneferuaten was "beloved" by Akhenaten [who was beloved by Akhenaten? Nefertiti ...].
Beloved by Akhenaten and spared by the history. Nefertiti was truly unique.

Apr 2017
The Ancient World
Beloved by Akhenaten and spared by the history. Nefertiti was truly unique.

Your question and observation have raised my curiosity. We have known Nefertiti as a beautiful queen since the discovery of her bust, but was she likewise famed for her beauty in ancient times? Or was she blamed for Akhenaten's infamous heresy? Perhaps, after he reign, she went through what the Romans call Damnatio Memoriae, or a removal from the public record by destruction of her face and inscriptions, although I am not sure if there is evidence for this.

Mar 2014
Lost in Yharnam
Your question and observation have raised my curiosity. We have known Nefertiti as a beautiful queen since the discovery of her bust, but was she likewise famed for her beauty in ancient times? Or was she blamed for Akhenaten's infamous heresy? Perhaps, after he reign, she went through what the Romans call Damnatio Memoriae, or a removal from the public record by destruction of her face and inscriptions, although I am not sure if there is evidence for this.
She appears in many arts alongside her husband, the most controversial Egyptian pharaoh, terrifying in every way, hated by the ruling clergy

And no bad story was told about her, the wife of Louis XVI did not have this luck

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Absolutely, she was known by Egyptians [inhabitants of KmT] because of her beauty.

A Royal personage had several names. Not to be pedant, but Nefertiti enjoyed the epithet of Lord [Lady, it's a bit complicated ...] of the Two Lands. With this we should analyze her name with accuracy.

Her complete name was

NEFERNEFERUATEN NEFERTITI

If the first part meant "marvelous is the beauty of the Aten" the second part, her own name, Nefertiti, meant "The Beauty has come".

But ... this didn't save her memory. No mercy for Amarna Pharaohs and Royal personages [and Nefertiti is suspected to have been Pharaoh herself].

Anyway, she hadn't directly blamed for the heresy of the husband [ancient Egyptians didn't "blame" ... they erased you from history, period!].