Why was Serbia willing to let Macedonia secede in 1991-1992?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Why was Serbia so eager to fight for Macedonia during the Balkan Wars in the first place, though?

This outcome was due to the Ottomans' choice to defend Adrianople/Edirne rather than Skopje and Salonika in 1st B.W.

Serbia, by all accounts, had very high morale in that war and the Ottomans' probably did the right thing to be sure to hold onto some of Thrace. The Turks' were certainly indifferent to the lines on the maps which had been initialed by the Bulgarians and Serbs, as an understanding pre-partition of Macedonia, prior to the fighting.

After the conclusion of the war, Serbia "fell back" on the proposition that possession is "nine-tenths of the law", the principal reason for 1913's war!

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
What about northern Greece?
Eh, not really. I know Austria-Hungary offered Salonica to Serbia in exchange for Serbia relinquishing all claims to the Adriatic coast but Serbia refused. Most likely because they needed good relations with Greece in light of an ever more possible war with Bulgaria.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It seems Serbia only wanted to have Serb majority areas in neighbouring countries that constituted former Yugoslavia.
That wasn't Serbia's logic for its expansion during the Balkan Wars (the southern territories that Serbia conquered in these wars don't appear to have had a large Serbian population), though. Also, Serbia annexed Slovenia and Croatia after the end of WWI in spite of the fact that Slovenia had almost no Serbs and Croatia likewise had almost no Serbs outside of the Serbian Krajina:

Republic of Serbian Krajina - Wikipedia

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
IMHO, the best borders for Serbia would have been almost all of the blue areas on this map (I say "almost all" because I would want to achieve a Serbian state that has territorial contiguity and isn't a total mess in terms of its appearance):

Of course, such a map of Serbia would have likely severely pissed off the Bosniaks!

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
This outcome was due to the Ottomans' choice to defend Adrianople/Edirne rather than Skopje and Salonika in 1st B.W.

Serbia, by all accounts, had very high morale in that war and the Ottomans' probably did the right thing to be sure to hold onto some of Thrace. The Turks' were certainly indifferent to the lines on the maps which had been initialed by the Bulgarians and Serbs, as an understanding pre-partition of Macedonia, prior to the fighting.

After the conclusion of the war, Serbia "fell back" on the proposition that possession is "nine-tenths of the law", the principal reason for 1913's war!
Very interesting!

Anyway, though, why did Serbia reach Macedonia before Bulgaria did?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Very interesting!

Anyway, though, why did Serbia reach Macedonia before Bulgaria did?
Highlander or one of the well-read Bulgarian contributors have a better answer than I do.

In the English sources there so much written about the aftermath of the war than about the Turks' reasoning in their deployments. The "fall back" response I can offer though: Geography! Was logistically easier to march on Uskub/Skopje from the North and Northwest.

Similar History Discussions