Why was the Aztec Empire seemingly uninterested in stopping Cortés?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Sounds like a way of getting killed to me Martin :lol:

Ye,, he was killed by the Seas.. but not by a man!.. And I don´t like to much Panfilo de Narváez... he was brutal... but I won´t judge him ... I am not who to do it or put myself in his place . I think he was a brutal man and very violent man.. but we don´t know in 2019 how he lived in 1509....for sure.. others men were less brutal than him in those days.... (Cortes was never a brutal man).... but we don´t know the kind of life Narváez had it before to be famous.

The slaughter of Caonao has no justification ....but maybe could he think indians were preparing an ambush? I don´t know.... but in Phillippines.... Magallanes was killed in a party.. as the Almogavares chiefs in Constantinople...I 'm not justifying his brutal behavior, I'm just trying to understand why he did it ...

Feb 2017
Latin America
Ye,, he was killed by the Seas.. but not by a man!.. And I don´t like to much Panfilo de Narváez... he was brutal... but I won´t judge him ... I am not who to do it or put myself in his place . I think he was a brutal man and very violent man.. but we don´t know in 2019 how he lived in 1509....for sure.. others men were less brutal than him in those days.... (Cortes was never a brutal man).... but we don´t know the kind of life Narváez had it before to be famous.

The slaughter of Caonao has no justification ....but maybe could he think indians were preparing an ambush? I don´t know.... but in Phillippines.... Magallanes was killed in a party.. as the Almogavares chiefs in Constantinople...I 'm not justifying his brutal behavior, I'm just trying to understand why he did it ...
He was killed in battle.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Fairly sure Narvaez was a psychopath.
Dear John....I can´t see a sexual "motivation" in Narvaez´s behaviour.... I would say he was a very aggresive man... but, of course,.I can be wrong.. but I would say Lope de Aguirre yes was a Psychopath because we can see a "sexual motivation" in his crimes....Don´t you think so?

In any case, I agree with you about Pánfilo de Narváez was not my favourite Conquistador!

Jul 2019
New Jersey
The Aztecs did try to ambush the Spaniards in Cholula. Unlike the later alleged plot in Tenochtitlan which led to Alvarado's great massacre in the Temple of the Sun, the Cholula conspiracy does seem to have been a real thing. Ambush was the only possible course of action because they saw how the Spanish were able to beat the Tlaxcalans and because the Aztecs didn't trust their subjects enough to fight against the "liberator". Remember, Cortes liberated the Totonacs from Aztec rule straight away - surely the other Aztec subjects were paying attention.

Reactions: PADDYBOY