Why was the British industry not enough big and prepared for the scale of such huge conflict like the first WW1 ?

Jan 2020
cumberstone
Page: 122

TitleWorld War I: Encyclopedia, Volume 1
World War I: Encyclopedia, Priscilla Mary Roberts
AuthorsSpencer Tucker, Priscilla Mary Roberts
EditorsSpencer Tucker, Priscilla Mary Roberts
Editionillustrated
PublisherABC-CLIO, 2005
ISBN1851094202, 9781851094202
Length1661 pages
SubjectsHistory

Military

World War I

History / Military / World War I

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
British industry was not prepared because Britain’s power lay in her navy, she had a tiny army compared to the other major European powers, and they were not expecting to get involved in a major land war in Europe.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
British industry was not prepared because Britain’s power lay in her navy, she had a tiny army compared to the other major European powers, and they were not expecting to get involved in a major land war in Europe.
But Britain did have the industrial capacity it just needed to be re-directed once the war broke out. She had been on a very aggressive naval building program for the previous 10 years or so.

Reactions: Druid

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
Any idea?
Here’s an idea:
Just before the First World War Britain had 15% of the world’s industrial capacity, just one percent behind Germany at 16%. This figure does not include any capacity from other countries of the empire.
In terms of income per capita it was third highest (behind Australia and New Zealand)
And London was Europe’s largest trade hub.

How does any of this equate to being unprepared for the conflict?

Reactions: frogsofwar

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Page: 122

TitleWorld War I: Encyclopedia, Volume 1
World War I: Encyclopedia, Priscilla Mary Roberts
AuthorsSpencer Tucker, Priscilla Mary Roberts
EditorsSpencer Tucker, Priscilla Mary Roberts
Editionillustrated
PublisherABC-CLIO, 2005
ISBN1851094202, 9781851094202
Length1661 pages
SubjectsHistory

Military

World War I

History / Military / World War I
Because nobody had thought they were going to be needing to produce heavy machine guns, light machine guns, hand grenades, heavy artillery, machine gun armed airplanes, militarised blimps, subteranean flamethrowers, gas projectors, gas masks, trench flame throwers, mortars and any one of a thousand other things when the military had been reformed in 1907.
Because most of those things hadn't been invented yet!

Classic example, the British army used light highly mobile artillery for expeditionary warfare and only used heavy artillery to defend ports and fortresses, they only required 190 of the 4.5inch QF Howitzer. By the end of 1918 we had produced over 3,300 of them

In 1914 the budget and manufacturing capacity for tanks was zero. No budget, didnt exist, nobody except HG Wells had even considered them.
After testing a few of them on the Somme the army promptly bought 1000 of them. Where do you find factory unused factory space for1000 tanks in the middle of a technical war?

Nobody was prepared for the scale of WW1, compared to the inefficient planning of the Germans i'd say the British knew what they were doing.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Of course they were prepared for war. They had been preparing for at least a decade.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
The German high command expected the war to last six weeks in the west. That was the time they thought Russia needed to fully mobilize under the plan. With France defeated they expected Russia and Britain to accept terms. . It wasn't that unrealistic if the plan worked. Britain invested in its navy and hoped to avoid a land war. They believed (or hoped) Germany would not draw Britain into the war by invading Belgium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Druid