Why wasn't an independent Belarus created at Brest-Litovsk?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Why wasn't an independent Belarus created in the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk in early 1918?

Based on this map, it appears that Imperial Germany agreed to withdraw from Belarus and give it to the Bolsheviks:

Personally, I would have considered this to be a risky move in the long(er)-run since it creates a huge Russian salient which could be used by the Russians to attack Ukraine and/or the Baltic states in a future war (once Russia actually recovers its strength, that is). Of course, this salient would also leave Russia vulnerable and exposed, but I would think that the Russians would be aware of this and thus prepare accordingly.

Anyway, was an independent Belarus not created in early 1918 because there was no large-scale nationalist movement there like there was in Poland, Ukraine, and the Baltic states? Or was there another reason for this?

Reactions: Talbot Vilna

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Interestingly enough, the Belarusian salient is also a problem for NATO right now since it could make it relatively easy for Russia to physically isolate and conquer the Baltic countries:

May 2015
The Netherlands
Why wasn't an independent Belarus created in the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk in early 1918?

Based on this map, it appears that Imperial Germany agreed to withdraw from Belarus and give it to the Bolsheviks:

Personally, I would have considered this to be a risky move in the long(er)-run since it creates a huge Russian salient which could be used by the Russians to attack Ukraine and/or the Baltic states in a future war (once Russia actually recovers its strength, that is). Of course, this salient would also leave Russia vulnerable and exposed, but I would think that the Russians would be aware of this and thus prepare accordingly.

Anyway, was an independent Belarus not created in early 1918 because there was no large-scale nationalist movement there like there was in Poland, Ukraine, and the Baltic states? Or was there another reason for this?
There was no meaningful national consciousness in Belarus at the time and little was known about the Belarusians outside of Russia. During WW1 the advancing Germans literally stumbled upon them. I believe that when they were catholic, they generally considered themselves Polish and when they had the orthodox faith, they generally saw themselves as Russian. Most of them were of the latter and had not intention to secede from Russia.

Here's a good place to start:
War Land on the Eastern Front

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There was no meaningful national consciousness in Belarus at the time and little was known about the Belarusians outside of Russia. During WW1 the advancing Germans literally stumbled upon them. I believe that when they were catholic, they generally considered themselves Polish and when they had the orthodox faith, they generally saw themselves as Russian. Most of them were of the latter and had not intention to secede from Russia.

Here's a good place to start:
War Land on the Eastern Front
Thanks for this link! I have already taken a quick look at it and will read it more thoroughly later. :)

BTW, was this proposed Belarusian state the creation of a small group of intellectuals with almost no support among the Belarusian masses? :

Belarusian People's Republic - Wikipedia

Also, why did Ukrainians want to secede from Russia in 1918 in spite of them having the same religion as Russians have?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I very much enjoyed the fact that your map is indicating that San Marino and Lichtenstein have not YET joined the wave of NATO expansion. In due time perhaps they can contribute a few policemen?

Reactions: Futurist

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Germany was interested in what it could gain, not creating independent countries. Some countries became independent on their own that had been part of the Russian or Austrian Empires.

Belorus had been fought over between Poland and Russia, but Poland was defeated and it was Russian. It is strange that it became independent with the breakup of the Soviet Union. I guess because it was one of the "republics". The other "republics" were more different in language, ethnicity, and maybe religion from Russia.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I very much enjoyed the fact that your map is indicating that San Marino and Lichtenstein have not YET joined the wave of NATO expansion. In due time perhaps they can contribute a few policemen?
A few policemen and some very fine chefs. ;)