Why wasn't india settled by europeans.

Mar 2012
Simple question, I'm aware there was a minority of anglo indians, but why wasn't the country set up for large scale immigration?

Dec 2011
Hertfordshire
Simple question, I'm aware there was a minority of anglo indians, but why wasn't the country set up for large scale immigration?
Because India has a billion people, and Britain does not....

And they couldn't wipe out the Indians in India the way they wiped out the Indians in North America.

Jan 2011
Balkans
I guess because it was already fully inhabited unlike Australia, large parts of America

Lord_of_Gauda

Ad Honorem
Nov 2009
Canada
Before the Suez Canal opened, the route to India involved sailing all the way across Africa to India- something that took almost four months, as opposed to two for the Atlantic crossing. A four month voyage is beyond the endurance of most adult men (due to scurvy, rickets, etc), nevermind women and children.

India was also quite well developed when the Europeans first showed up ( circa late 1500s, when India as a whole was a bigger economy than Europe as a whole) and as such, Indians had imperial experience: a policy of genocide and 'smallpox blankets' wouldn't have worked in India because the Indians, unlike the Native Ameicans/Incans/Aztecs, could actually compete with the European armies, since they too had steel, cannonry, etc.
After Industrial revolution happened in Europe, the charm to settle in India diminished greatly, because India wasn't industrialized and the British actively prevented the industrialization of India (due to fears that the significantly larger demographics could easily resist the British dominion of India if they became industrialized, also, if India became Industrialized, it'd take the wind out of the British economy, which thrived on processing raw goods imported from india and the caribbean.)

As such, these reasons prevented the wholesale colonization of India- which was essentially restricted to british men- mostly soldiers and merchants- taking Indian wives (thus the birth of the Anglo-Indian community), with the occasional case of British women, spending time in India with their career diplomat/administrator father marrying an Indian man.

Reactions: Zanis

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Before the Suez Canal opened, the route to India involved sailing all the way across Africa to India- something that took almost four months, as opposed to two for the Atlantic crossing. A four month voyage is beyond the endurance of most adult men (due to scurvy, rickets, etc), nevermind women and children.

The Suez canal opened in 1869 by which time the British had a thriving colony in Australia and New Zealand, a four month sea voyage was not that long. Voyages by sailors such as Cook and Bligh were much longer. Ships were often at sea for years.

There is not a large Anglo-British population because India was a 'province' of empire a product of 'Imperialism' rather than 'Colonialism' which would be better applied to Australia, New Zealand and Canada which were 'Colonies' in the traditional sense.

Feb 2010
Cambridgeshire, UK
1) It was full of Indians.

2) Europeans, at least British ones, melt in the Indian climate unlike New England.

3) Indian was taken over by companies intending to make a profit and colonialism stemmed from there, not by conquerors and colonists.

Jan 2009
My wife is Anglo-Indian. They are a pretty significant community in Chennai. I wouldn't underestimate it as a settlement. And as everyone has already said, it's just a matter of numbers.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Because agricultural settlement was uneconomic. The British in India were an colonial overlords, they could not compete as settlers.

Mar 2012
My wife is Anglo-Indian. They are a pretty significant community in Chennai. I wouldn't underestimate it as a settlement. And as everyone has already said, it's just a matter of numbers.
I guess the better question if its a numbers game why weren't other nations given any ability to settle aside from the english.