Why Wasn't India United Before?

Jun 2012
Malaysia
India has indeed almost become a coherent and unified entity fairly recently. It is a work in progress. Far too many centrifugal forces were there operating at one or other time in its long tortuous history to prevent it from being a coherent and unified entity. But in my lifetime so far, I see that the unifying forces are getting stronger by the day. Often it seems that some external challenge to its sovereignty or challenges to its internal cohesion often threaten for some limited time but India arises from such interludes to become more coherent and more unified.
I would not be too sure about that. The Aryan-Dravidian divide, for instance, keeps cropping up every now & again, even as everybody keeps trying to sweep that one under the carpet every time.

Jun 2017
usa
I would not be too sure about that. The Aryan-Dravidian divide, for instance, keeps cropping up every now & again, even as everybody keeps trying to sweep that one under the carpet every time.
Actually growing up I was totally unaware of such a divide and even now it is mostly just in the southern state of Tamil Nadu that people keep
on about dravidian this and dravidian that.
So for the most part there is no Aryan dravidian divide but the missionaries have certainly played a role in trying to create divisions between christians and the majority like the bishop in some place in Nagaland telling his congregation to choose between the cross or the trishul when voting or the other bishop in Gujarat saying something similar.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Actually growing up I was totally unaware of such a divide and even now it is mostly just in the southern state of Tamil Nadu that people keep
on about dravidian this and dravidian that.
So for the most part there is no Aryan dravidian divide but the missionaries have certainly played a role in trying to create divisions between christians and the majority like the bishop in some place in Nagaland telling his congregation to choose between the cross or the trishul when voting or the other bishop in Gujarat saying something similar.
Not true, as far as who is really trying to divide India. Hindus have become more religious since the independence and have voted in an Hindu extremist party BJP into power. In this regard, Hindus seem to be copying Muslims across the world in religious politics. This party has pushed religious polarization of India by trying to enact laws to impose Hindu dietary rules and taboos upon non-Hindus across the country, such as banning beef. Hindus have lynched Muslims as a result. They once attacked churches too for other reasons. It is the Hindu extremists who are trying to divide India on religious lines.

Last edited:

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Aryan-Dravidian divide is not going to split India. Any good anthropology book will tell one that North Indians are also basically Dravidians, but they lost their language to the Aryan invaders. The numbers of Aryans who settled in India were small compared to its native population. The situation is like most of Latin American countries where people are overwhelmingly Amerindian but they speak the language of the invaders, Spanish.

Last edited:
Jun 2017
usa
Aryan-Dravidian divide is not going to split India. Any good anthropology book will tell one that North Indians are also basically Dravidians, but they lost their language to the Aryan invaders. The numbers of Aryans who settled in India were small compared to its native population. The situation is like most of Latin American countries where people are overwhelmingly Amerindian but they speak the language of the invaders, Spanish.
That is what the missionaries told people in order to gain converts. Unfortunately for them it did not work except in places like Tamil Nadu.

Jun 2017
usa
Not true, as far as who is really trying to divide India. Hindus have become more religious since the independence and have voted in an Hindu extremist party BJP into power. In this regard, Hindus seem to be copying Muslims across the world in religious politics. This party has pushed religious polarization of India by trying to enact laws to impose Hindu dietary rules and taboos upon non-Hindus across the country, such as banning beef. Hindus have lynched Muslims as a result. They once attacked churches too for other reasons. It is the Hindu extremists who are trying to divide India on religious lines.
Actually it is not the BJP but the Congress that banned cow slaughter in many states. Congress is the one that started the Babri Masjid drama.
As far as lynchings go, they are more a breakdown of law and order than anything else. Also the media highlights lynchings done by Hindus but Muslims carrying out such crimes are ignored. very few people know who Prashant Pujari was.
Extremists are in every religion and Hindus are certainly no saints but considering the population of India these incidents are few as compared to say like the US where the population is one fourth of India but Christian extremism is not uncommon. the latest tragedy being the massacre in the Jewish temple in Pittsburgh.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Aryans were as civilized or uncivilized as their neighbors. They went to many countries, and were strong forces in those countries. They had a nice language. They influenced the language and myths of all those countries. As for science, that came up later. And as for philosophy, IMHO, the credit should also be given to indigenous philosophy of India, which finally prevailed.
I have busted these arguments before, do we need more?

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
That is what the missionaries told people in order to gain converts. Unfortunately for them it did not work except in places like Tamil Nadu.
This Aryan Dravidian stuff is totally ignored in Karnataka, the neighboring state of Tamilnadu. I guess this is not even an issue with the masses in Tamilnadu.

As you rightly said, this is missionary's mission:)

Similar History Discussions