Why were carpetbaggers elected?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Most Republican southern governors during Reconstruction were northerners. Now I understand they are now considered not that bad. However, why were they nominated rather than southern white Republicans? I would think a native southerner would be a stronger candidate.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
White Republicans in the South (scalawags) were also quite present and active in the politics of the Reconstruction-era South. In fact, they were more active than the carpetbaggers.

May 2017
florida
Under the " Reconstruction acts of 1867 " only voters approved by the US Congress were allowed to vote , mostly freed slaves .

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Yeh, traditional southern history uses those terms. I know now it is all about how black rights got subverted.

I just wonder, did the Republican have the votes they could elect whomever they wanted? Longstreet and Mosby were Republicans. The Readjuster Party in the 1880s sent a Confederate Brigadier to the US Senate, who cast the deciding vote for Republican control of the Senate. There must have been old Whigs and people from Unionist areas who would run as the Republican candidate for Governor or whatever. I would think a northerner on the ballot would cost the Republicans white votes.