Why were Egypt and Morocco reluctant to help Granada?

jehosafats

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Everybody knows the kingdom of Granada was the last stronghold of Moorish Spain. My question is why, given their contempt for Castile, the Wattasids of Morocco or Turks in Egypt never came to their aid?

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
thats a very good question actually, Im curious about the answer...
(I bet it's bad relations between granada and its Islamic allies

jehosafats

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Maybe there came a point where Al-Andalus was the Lost Cause of Mediterranean Islam? All I have are generic answers. But I have no doubt Granada would've taken all the help they could get. In fact, Genoa repeatedly sided with Granada against Castille. Its just hard to imagine Granada's only allies were enterprising Italian Christians.

Oct 2011
The Mamaleek Sultanate had virtually no navy, so I'd say that's probably why they were unable to render any assistance. When the Ottomans finally got on their feet, and took full control of the Muslim world, then they began to attack the Spanish more, but it was obviously too late by this time.

Aug 2011
The Mamaleek Sultanate had virtually no navy, so I'd say that's probably why they were unable to render any assistance. When the Ottomans finally got on their feet, and took full control of the Muslim world, then they began to attack the Spanish more, but it was obviously too late by this time.
The Mamluks did have a navy. Upon his accession to power, Baybars realized that his predecessors had largely neglected the Egyptian navy. As a result of this Baybars started a massive program of galley construction in Alexandria and Damietta. By the end of his reign, it can be assumed that the Mamluk Sultanate had a sizeable navy.

As for the reasons they did not offer help to Granada, I think it boils down to three factors; distance, political division, and external threats. On one hand Granada was way too far from Egypt and sending a fleet across the mediterranean to Spain would be very dangerous due to risk of storms.

As for external threats, the Mamluks from the beginning of their state untill the early 15th century were bordered by a powerful and hostile neighbour to the east. The Illkhanids posed a constant threat to their state and diverting troops to Spain could prove a fatal mistake should a Mongol invasion take place. And after the collapse of the Illkhanids, the Timurids took their place as the eastern arch enemy of the Mamluks.

Last but not least, the Muslim states by this time were largely seperate from each other. The destruction of the Abbasid state in 1258 really severed the last of the links which kept the Muslim world together. After that it was pretty much every state for itself.

This is just my theory and I hope it helps. The big question in my opinion is why Morroco didnt support Granada. Dynastic rivalry perhaps?

Shaheen

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Sweden
Maybe they felt it was a lost cause.Rio Salado and Las Navas de Tolosa would only have strengthened that opinion. Also i believe the Moroccan dynasty at that time, the Wattasids, were a mere shadow of the preceding Almohad's, Marinids etc in terms of men and power.

jehosafats

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
The Mamluks had the Mongols to worry about. The Wattasids were weak compared to their predecessors. All very good answers. Thanks.

Sep 2009
Even the Granadians themself were not that united. also, by then the balance of power had shifted dramatically, in 1415 the city of Ceuta in modern day Morroco was already captured by the Portugese and they also captured Tangier in 1471. Which would have already limited the capacity of Morrocan dynasty's to help Granada. (those were the two major port city that controlled the straits of Gibraltar from the African side)

jehosafats

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Even the Granadians themself were not that united. also, by then the balance of power had shifted dramatically, in 1415 the city of Ceuta in modern day Morroco was already captured by the Portugese and they also captured Tangier in 1471. Which would have already limited the capacity of Morrocan dynasty's to help Granada. (those were the two major port city that controlled the straits of Gibraltar from the African side)
The Portuguese grabbed Tetouan as well, which goes to the weakness of the Wattasids.

Efendi

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
Anatolia
There werent land link to Spain. Otherwise It wouldnt be difficulty to defeat Catholics. Ottoman didnt have much strong navy in those times. When Turks imporve their naval power in Mediternean, they helped remaining Muslims in Spain. Besides there were problems with Memluks. It was the time when Turks were on their course to capture ME.

Spanish shores were bombarded, some remaining muslim transfered to Anatolia, north africa. They supported and financed their rebellions.

Not only the muslim, Turks also be saviour of Jews. Today Jews of Istanbul still speak Spanish.

They were more glorious than Constantinia in their hey day. Cordoba was more populous and richer than Istanbul with her 500,000 population. Their difference with Turks that, they didnt had glorious rulers like Mehmet the conqueror, Suleyman the magnificent, Beyazıt, Murat 1..... They didnt had war technology that Turks had. It would be interesting to see Islam enter Europea from west side instead of Balkans.

Last edited: