Why were Sub-Saharan countries much more likely to keep their colonial languages' official status after independence?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Why were Sub-Saharan countries much more likely to keep their colonial languages' official status after independence? I mean, the Arab world, the countries of South Asia, and the countries of Southeast Asia generally didn't give "official language" status to the language of their former colonizers after they acquired independence, but much of Sub-Saharan Africa did, in fact, do this. Why was this the case? Was it because the borders in Africa were especially arbitrary and thus it was more crucial to have some kind of a lingua franca for their populations--with the languages of their former colonizers fitting the bill for this especially well? Or was there some other reason for this?

Any thoughts on this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, Yes, the countries of the Americas did, in fact, also keep the languages of their former colonizers after independence. However, there was much, much more European settlement in the Americas than there was in Sub-Saharan Africa. Yet, in spite of this, a lot of countries in Sub-Saharan Africa nevertheless gave "official language" status to the languages of their former colonizers. For instance, Guinea-Bissau, Angola, and Mozambique still have Portuguese as an official language even right now while all or almost all of ex-French and ex-Belgian Africa still has French as an official language right now.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
They have so many different tribal languages, so it is easier to use a European language as a standard. Also, France has maintained some control of most of its African former colonies.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
They have so many different tribal languages, so it is easier to use a European language as a standard.
Yep, that's what I suspected.

Also, France has maintained some control of most of its African former colonies.
Are France's ties with its former colonies much closer than those of other countries with their former colonies?

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Are France's ties with its former colonies much closer than those of other countries with their former colonies?
Well, yes...

In French the pejorative political code-word used by the opponents to France's hands-on approach to its former colonies is "Françafrique".

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Portugal also maintains quite close links with its former five colonies. That even happened when they had Communist regimes, during the Cold War. The links were never fully broken.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well, yes...

In French the pejorative political code-word used by the opponents to France's hands-on approach to its former colonies is "Françafrique".
Yes, I'm well-aware of the term. That said, though, I'm not really sure that Africans should actually complain about this since France is willing to use its own military to restore order and ensure stability in their countries. What's the downside?

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Also, Yes, the countries of the Americas did, in fact, also keep the languages of their former colonizers after independence. However, there was much, much more European settlement in the Americas than there was in Sub-Saharan Africa. Yet, in spite of this, a lot of countries in Sub-Saharan Africa nevertheless gave "official language" status to the languages of their former colonizers. For instance, Guinea-Bissau, Angola, and Mozambique still have Portuguese as an official language even right now while all or almost all of ex-French and ex-Belgian Africa still has French as an official language right now.
The way the countries were set up was the biggest problem. Rather than set things up along tribal lines. Europeans used the old divide and let them conquer themselves philosophy

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Yes, I'm well-aware of the term. That said, though, I'm not really sure that Africans should actually complain about this since France is willing to use its own military to restore order and ensure stability in their countries. What's the downside?
There's a whiff, and not a little, of the old "white man's burden" or "la mission civilisatrice".

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There's a whiff, and not a little, of the old "white man's burden" or "la mission civilisatrice".
Well, as long as France doesn't violate their sovereignty without their consent, I really don't see much of a problem with this.