Why weren't the 9/11 hijackers native Afghans?

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
I am not sure that Islamophobia is right word. There is very real reason to be wary of Muslims in our day and age. First someone needs to prove that it is actually phobia, then they could start to research it.
People freaking out and saying that Islam is going to take over their country solely because a best-selling food product decided to make an Halal version, is proof enough that in certain circumstances there is an irrational phobia of Islam.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
People freaking out and saying that Islam is going to take over their country solely because a best-selling food product decided to make an Halal version, is proof enough that in certain circumstances there is an irrational phobia of Islam.
I've not heard about that, but, given the number of bombings and other terrorist incidents throughout the world (mostly in the Islamic world sad to say), isn't there also a rational phobia of Islam or at least jihad?

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
I've not heard about that, but, given the number of bombings and other terrorist incidents throughout the world (mostly in the Islamic world sad to say), isn't there also a rational phobia of Islam or at least jihad?
Well, of course Jihad should be feared by the larger public, that's a no brainer. Now fearing the entire Muslim world - that's an over-exaggerated phobia.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I had to do a project on Islamophobia for college. While I was reading our text, I found it a little odd that people would associate Arabs so much with Islam. After all, 9/11 was committed by the Afghan organization Al-Qaeda, right? Osama Bin Laden non-withstanding, I assumed a lot of people would at least know that Afghans and Arabs are usually not the same. So, I looked up the nationality of the hijackers and discovered that zero of them are actually from Afghanistan.

I wouldn't have been surprised to find a few non-afghans in there, but I didn't expect all of them to be that way. Was Osama just unable to find people capable of learning to fly an airplane in Afghanistan? As mentioned, I know he comes from Saudi Arabia, but he'd been ousted from there and his base was still in Afghanistan. Also, while Afghanistan was a poor country with little education available, it still seems like Osama would've been able to find somebody able to pass as an American immigrant or foreign tourist at least.
Why would they be? The Islamic world covers plenty of territory and peoples.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Well, of course Jihad should be feared by the larger public, that's a no brainer. Now fearing the entire Muslim world - that's an over-exaggerated phobia.
I agree, but I don't think very many people fear Islam per se.

Of course, there are always some, and I am far from claiming that the popular press has been helpful. How many people in the west today are aware that violent jihad has been condemned by just about every member of the main-stream Muslim hierarchy? e.g
70,000 clerics issue fatwa against terrorism, 15 lakh Muslims support it - Times of India ►

I am not sure that Islamophobia is right word. There is very real reason to be wary of Muslims in our day and age. First someone needs to prove that it is actually phobia, then they could start to research it.
Well yes there is .......... because the West killed thousands of them and now they want to kill you.

Usually happens that way, no?

There is no point talking in dramatics, there is nothing to fear from Muslims, there is something to fear from terrorists.

That's like saying we had something to fear from Irish people in the 70's 80's, IRA yes, Irish people in general no.

The West's approach to this subject just makes me sick to be honest, even using the term "The muslims" you mean Arabs, Afghans, Indonesians, North Africans, Central Asia, Pakistan and millions of others, all with different agendas, cultures and politics?

The West always has to have a boogie man, if its not black people its "muslims" if its not them its Russians, whatever, take some responsibility, America had black slaves so now a lot of them live in poverty and cause social issues, America went abroad and tried to wreck the whole of the middle east and now the mass murders are causing blow back etc etc.

Sometimes if you spend all your time demonizing everyone else, maybe its you who's the problem?

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Have a look at the comments on Iranian "Press" tv. Anyone who is not strongly Arabic is a Zionist! The fact that there is a big difference between a Zionist and an Israeli does not bother their contributors.
Currently , slagging off the Wahabi and and MBS is a past time.
Slight correction, the Iranians do not consider themselves to be Arabs.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Agreed. After all, there is a lot of diversity in the Muslim world; for instance, just compare Kazakhstan and, say, Afghanistan or Pakistan.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Where did you get the idea that Al Qaeda is an Afghan organisation? Al Qaeda, to the extent that you can speak of it as an actual organisation, sought refuge in Afghanistan after being kicked out of Sudan by the Sudanese government in the mid-nineties. It has always been predominently Arab.
Yep, this is correct.

Mar 2014
Lithuania
Well yes there is .......... because the West killed thousands of them and now they want to kill you.

Usually happens that way, no?

There is no point talking in dramatics, there is nothing to fear from Muslims, there is something to fear from terrorists.

That's like saying we had something to fear from Irish people in the 70's 80's, IRA yes, Irish people in general no.

The West's approach to this subject just makes me sick to be honest, even using the term "The muslims" you mean Arabs, Afghans, Indonesians, North Africans, Central Asia, Pakistan and millions of others, all with different agendas, cultures and politics?

The West always has to have a boogie man, if its not black people its "muslims" if its not them its Russians, whatever, take some responsibility, America had black slaves so now a lot of them live in poverty and cause social issues, America went abroad and tried to wreck the whole of the middle east and now the mass murders are causing blow back etc etc.

Sometimes if you spend all your time demonizing everyone else, maybe its you who's the problem?
The fact, that West killed thousands of Muslims has nothing to do with existence of phobia. If danger is real, then fear is right response and not phobia. Phobia is irrational fear without reason. Generalization and fear of Muslims in general and not fear of terrorists in particular also could be very reasonable reaction. Muslim terrorists are known to hide among larger population, often with quiet support from that population. So, stereotyping whole thing and being careful of Muslims in general is reasonable if you don't have a way to distinguish terrorists with ease. I don't see any relevance adding Irish and black slaves to the discussion, I don't understand why you mention them at all. Demonizing some group is common tactic for all civilizations, "The West" is no exception here, Muslims do the same.