WikiLeaks claims Panama Papers are a US funded attack on Putin and Russia

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
It was published on WikiLeaks Twitter account, but I don't know are we allowed to give links to Twitter here.
It says Panama Papers are funded by the US via USAID and Open Society Institute.

beorna

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
-
....and that's why the papers include Poroshenko and Gunlaugsson from Iceland?

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
....and that's why the papers include Poroshenko and Gunlaugsson from Iceland?
I believe they mentioned: Panama Papers attack story on Putin. Not Panama Papers in general.

beorna

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
-
I believe they mentioned: Panama Papers attack story on Putin. Not Panama Papers in general.
I am sure, that the CIA or any other secret service is able and willing to do so, as well as I am convinced that the FSB would do so.
One thing I have learned is, that lots of politicians are corrupt and the more uncontrolled power they have, the more corrupt are they. Do you really think in a land of oligarchs, Putin and his family and friends love to stay poor?

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
I am sure, that the CIA or any other secret service is able and willing to do so, as well as I am convinced that the FSB would do so.
One thing I have learned is, that lots of politicians are corrupt and the more uncontrolled power they have, the more corrupt are they. Do you really think in a land of oligarchs, Putin and his family and friends love to stay poor?
You are right. I also said several times that I don't believe Putin is poor. However, I also can't quite believe he has hidden billions of dollars in foreign bank accounts. If he has, why would it be so hard to track all that money, especially if Western banks are concerned.

My problem with all of these accusations is that we never see any proof.

PS And we are speaking about huge sums, 40bn even, which would make Putin one of the richest men in the world.

Mr Szubin would not comment on a secret CIA report from 2007 that put Mr Putin's wealth at around $40bn (£28bn). But he said the Russian president had been amassing secret wealth.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35385445

When I see this article it screams slander.

Last edited:

beorna

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
-
You are right. I also said several times that I don't believe Putin is poor. However, I also can't quite believe he has hidden billions of dollars in foreign bank accounts. If he has, why would it be so hard to track all that money, especially if Western banks are concerned.

Because Putins probably knows all the western politicians who have bank accounts there, too and as long as western banks make their profits, why should they care who has accounts there?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
If he has, why would it be so hard to track all that money, especially if Western banks are concerned.

If Russian banks and companies cooperated with with any unbiased enquiries, we would probably get more corroborating evidence. But the likelihood of that is slim.

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
Because Putins probably knows all the western politicians who have bank accounts there, too and as long as western banks make their profits, why should they care who has accounts there?
That's rather hard to believe. Putin is supposedly one of the chief threats to this World (according to Obama at least), so if Western banks have frozen the assets of people like Janukovics or Milosevic, why are they letting Putin to get away with it?

If Putin managed to hide 40 billion dollars, that would be truly astounding.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
That's rather hard to believe. Putin is supposedly one of the chief threats to this World (according to Obama at least), so if Western banks have frozen the assets of people like Janukovics or Milosevic, why are they letting Putin to get away with it?

If Putin managed to hide 40 billion dollars, that would be truly astounding.
I imagine that if Putin walked into a branch of Chase Manhatten and wanted to open a bank account to deposit a couple of billion, they'd stop it.

But if an associate of Mr. Putin gets a secretive Panamaian law firm to open an account in the Cayman Islands with an anonymous front man provided by the firm and makes a series of transfers over several years into that account through multiple Russian banks and front companies through false names and invoices, it'd be much harder to track down.

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
I imagine that if Putin walked into a branch of Chase Manhatten and wanted to open a bank account to deposit a couple of billion, they'd stop it.

But if an associate of Mr. Putin gets a secretive Panamaian law firm to open an account in the Cayman Islands with an anonymous front man provided by the firm and makes a series of transfers over several years into that account through multiple Russian banks and front companies through false names and invoices, it'd be much harder to track down.
We can only assume so. For now, we only have accusations coming from certain US officials and mainstream Western media.
Money usually leaves its traces and it's a lot harder to hide it today.