Will Extinctions caused by Humans continue?

Will Species go extinct that are caused by Humans.

• Yes

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

• I don't know?

• I hope not.

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
Jan 2013
Anywhere
"When a father buys a rare but very old antique table. He brings it home to show the family. They look how amazing it looks. But days later his children breaks it while playing in the living room. But the wife says to him that can he replace it. However! He sadly says that its the only one known to the world. And that "the damage has been done.""

The example you just read is what will eventually going to happen once we will forever lose the species that we see today, will possibly no longer exist in the future due to the actions of human kind.

Hunting, Poaching, Whaling, Over Fishing, human encroachment, consumption, Deforestation, Pollution, climate change, acidification of the oceans, greenhouse gases, human over-population, Habitat Loss, War, invasive species on different lands, and the like...

👆⬆⬆⬆👆
This is what you see the ongoing facts that we humans have caused from the past to the present. How can a single species like we..." the upright homind ape" have caused to this planet and nature so much chaos. How is it possible that humans alone eradicated so many species during the short history we that have. Humans...the Homosapiens that have only been on this planet for roughly 200,000 years, and are the only ape species on this world is capable of destroying everything on site. WHAT explanations should we tell the generations to come that Elephants, Rhinos, Giraffes, and even Whales that we may lose due to the so-called human way of life. I mean 7 billion humans. That's from a single species. (Now take a real deep thought of that.)

So will we have another extinction event not caused by nature but by humanity.

Here are the links.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction
Loneliest frog in the world is the last of his kind - Mirror Online

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
I've read that obscure species of arthopods are driven to extinction by deforestation on a very regular basis. However I'm fairly confident that 'higher-profile' species like tigers, pandas, elephants, and whales probably aren't going anywhere, because we like them too much to let them.

Scientists, armchair naturalists, and at least some world governments are much more conscious of the threat of extinction, probably more than any previous generation. But these people don't speak for the overwhelming majority of humanity, and I don't think that deforestation and hunting - legal or otherwise - is going to stop anytime soon.

I think the rate at which we cause the destruction of other species may be slowing, but I certainly don't think it's stopping.

oshron

Ad Honorem
Jun 2009
western Terranova
i'll have to disagree concerning pandas. i think they'll probably die out in the long run, though not for lack of trying to save them--it's just so difficult to breed them and they only eat the one kind of bamboo (iirc) and are already so rare. polar bears might be in trouble, too, due to climate change, but i think they'll probably survive in captivity, much like the Barbary lion

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
I've read that obscure species of arthopods are driven to extinction by deforestation on a very regular basis. However I'm fairly confident that 'higher-profile' species like tigers, pandas, elephants, and whales probably aren't going anywhere, because we like them too much to let them.

Scientists, armchair naturalists, and at least some world governments are much more conscious of the threat of extinction, probably more than any previous generation. But these people don't speak for the overwhelming majority of humanity, and I don't think that deforestation and hunting - legal or otherwise - is going to stop anytime soon.

I think the rate at which we cause the destruction of other species may be slowing, but I certainly don't think it's stopping.
In the last hundred years lions have gone from something like 100,000 to only 10,000. From 2011 to 2014 over 100,000 elephants were poached for their ivory.

While iconic species like lions or elephants are more likely to benefit from conservation efforts than an unfortunate toad that almost no one other than biologists have heard of, I'm not as sure as you that those iconic species are safe. Habitat loss and poaching are still major problems, so it's likely their decline will continue.

Last edited:

oshron

Ad Honorem
Jun 2009
western Terranova
In the last hundred years lions have gone from something like 100,000 to only 10,000. From 2011 to 2014 over 100,000 elephants were poached for their ivory.

While iconic species like lions or elephants are more likely to benefit from conservation efforts than an unfortunate toad that almost no one other than biologists have heard of, I'm not as sure as you that those iconic species are safe. Habitat loss and poaching are still major problems, so it's likely their decline will continue.
of course, it's important to know that they're also some of the more numerous wild species in captivity, and the San Diego Zoo, at least, has a "frozen zoo" on hand for future conservation efforts, preserving the genetic material of endangered animals in the hopes that, sometime in the future, they can be brought back (they've specifically preserved the northern white rhino, iirc, which is critically endangered). lions and elephants are in plenty of zoos across the planet, so i don't actually see them in as much danger as some others even if they become extinct in the wild, much like i mentioned earlier with polar bears

Jan 2013
Anywhere
Aren't penguins next on the hit parade?
Emperor Penguins are facing such a train wreck. I thought penguins in South Africa are gonna be the first.
Here are the links:
From Antarctica to Africa, penguins are at risk
World Penguin Day: These Wobblers Are Facing Extinction Too : Nature & Environment : Science World Report
Emperor Penguins are now endangered, warn biologists - Telegraph

However!! Cuban Crocodiles are somewhat and kind-off facing their own dilemma. But! Cuban Crocs are tending to cross breed with American Crocodiles coming from south florida. Sure its bad for Cuba, yet it is not bad for the small aggressive archosaurian reptile as they see it as a way to survive the species. Cause Ameican and Cuban Crocs somehow actually able to do this. And these Hybids will breed with American and Cubans crocs.

Hybrid Cuban-American Crocodiles on the Rise
Female Cuban Crocs Fancy American Mates, Endangering Their Species

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
They probably will although I hope not. I already feel sad for the extinct moa, elephant bird and giant lemurs that went extinct during AD. That's because I find them very interesting yet I can't see them anywhere. :sad: Of course, every single species is worth protecting and preserving, for the sake of biologic variety and everything.

Sep 2014
Texas
i'll have to disagree concerning pandas. i think they'll probably die out in the long run, though not for lack of trying to save them--it's just so difficult to breed them and they only eat the one kind of bamboo (iirc) and are already so rare. polar bears might be in trouble, too, due to climate change, but i think they'll probably survive in captivity, much like the Barbary lion
Pandas are an example of over specialization. There is a species of kite that only eats apple snails..another example.

invasive species is a major concern....wild hogs will eat fawns, constrictors in Floida...talapia...jumping carp..fire ants even honey bees are not natives.