Will overpopulation in Israel result in much greater settlement in the West Bank?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Throughout its history, Israel has experienced a rapidly growing population (in part due to natural growth and in part due to immigration). However, over the last twenty years, Israel's total fertility rate has increased due to massively rising fertility among its Jewish population. In 1995-1999, Israel's total fertility rate was 2.93 children per woman whereas it is now 3.11 children per woman:

Statistical Abstract of Israel 2017 - No. 68 Subject 3 - Table No. 13

However, as the link above shows, the change was especially stark among Israeli Jews. Specifically, Israeli Jews had (on average) 2.62 children per woman in 1995-1999 and (on average) 3.16 children per woman in 2016--an increase of 0.54 children per woman in 20 years!

Thus, my question here is this--do you think that overpopulation in Israel (and let's face it--Israel is a very small country in terms of its territorial size) is eventually going to cause much more Israelis to settle in the West Bank? Or do you think that this will have little or no effect on Israeli settlement in the West Bank (due to Israelis preferring to emigrate instead)?

Any thoughts on this?

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
The term "Settlement" is a calculated misdirection. In the late 19thC Jewish groups did indeed create "Settlements" in the Turkish ruled areas that subsequently became Palestine and then Israel.
The writer Tom Segev points out that the term has artfully been used ever since to imply a continuation of the pioneering spirit that existed between 1890 and 1939 with the setting up of kibbutzim on virgin land, although an honest expression today would describe these places as housing estates or suburbs.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
The whole population of Israel is less than that of a large city

NY, Paris or London each occupy less than 1 500 square km (so 1/8 the size of Israel)
Larger cities, such as Shangai or LA can be up to about half the size of Israel...

In all those cases the population is larger than that of Israel (up to 2.5 times in the case of Shangai)...

The real question is resources, notably water.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The whole population of Israel is less than that of a large city

NY, Paris or London each occupy less than 1 500 square km (so 1/8 the size of Israel)
Larger cities, such as Shangai or LA can be up to about half the size of Israel...

In all those cases the population is larger than that of Israel (up to 2.5 times in the case of Shangai)...
Half of Israel is desert, though; indeed, could one create a massive metropolis in the Israeli desert with a population equivalent to that of the Phoenix metropolitan area in the United States?

The real question is resources, notably water.
What about using desalinization?

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
Thus, my question here is this--do you think that overpopulation in Israel (and let's face it--Israel is a very small country in terms of its territorial size) is eventually going to cause much more Israelis to settle in the West Bank? Or do you think that this will have little or no effect on Israeli settlement in the West Bank (due to Israelis preferring to emigrate instead)?
I think inevitably the Israelis will settle in much larger numbers in the West Bank, either before or after expelling/killing the bulk of the Palestinian population.

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
Half of Israel is desert, though; indeed, could one create a massive metropolis in the Israeli desert with a population equivalent to that of the Phoenix metropolitan area in the United States?
Right, there's no real alternative but to take the West Bank fully. Not something I want but I think it's coming.

What about using desalinization?
I don't think that'll suffice; it's easier just to take all of the Jordan river's water i.e that currently used by Palestinians.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010

Any thoughts on this?
Settlement of the West Bank is governed by political and idealogical concerns. Any influence of demographics is simply swamped by the larger factors.

Nov 2014
Birmingham, UK
The term "Settlement" is a calculated misdirection. In the late 19thC Jewish groups did indeed create "Settlements" in the Turkish ruled areas that subsequently became Palestine and then Israel.
The writer Tom Segev points out that the term has artfully been used ever since to imply a continuation of the pioneering spirit that existed between 1890 and 1939 with the setting up of kibbutzim on virgin land, although an honest expression today would describe these places as housing estates or suburbs.
nicely put

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
Settlement of the West Bank is governed by political and idealogical concerns. Any influence of demographics is simply swamped by the larger factors.
A growing Israeli population will lead to political pressure for more settlements there (more and more). At the same time, Palestinian frustration will lead to more violence giving Israel the pretext it needs to expel all the Palestinians it wants to make more room.

Similar History Discussions