Will societal norms and values change in a post-Apocalyptic Earth?

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
during the great collapse of the 12th century BC , linear B writing disappeared
if the medium is gone , the information is lost
a future society might not be able to access digital information ,due to a lack of spare parts ,once the last CD driver snuff its mortal coil
I suppose they might remain as decoration for a while
I saw a doco where some ancient manuscript had been restored , translated and copied on to CD. The show presenter said it was great as now we have a lasting record. They guy doing all the work said ; not really, in a matter of a few years it will have to be redone as new computers will not be ale to read it and we will probably have a new storage medium by then anyway.

The he pointed to the manuscript - this however has lasted nearly 1000 years and we can still read and understand it .

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In the event of a complete civilization collapse, will societal norms change in developed society to something primitive to that of that of much early times? Or will humans still to their morals and values of equality and democracy? How fixed can concepts like freedom, justice, equality, etc or do they change instantly in the face of the lack of institutions to back them up? Shows like the Walking Dead show that peoples in an apocalpyse will try to hold on to that ideals of society as long as possible, but nobody knows if that will work in real life. Can the same values be there or will they be more akin to early agricultural societies?
I expect there to be much more instability, social tension, violence, and authoritarianism in this scenario. Indeed, I suspect that there would be a return to something akin to the survival of the fittest--with Darwinian natural selection once again working in such a way that the smartest and most talented people are consistently going to have the most surviving children. :(

Personally, I would strongly hope that such a scenario would be avoided due to the untold misery that it would cause for an awful lot of people. :(

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
during the great collapse of the 12th century BC , linear B writing disappeared
if the medium is gone , the information is lost
a future society might not be able to access digital information ,due to a lack of spare parts ,once the last CD driver snuff its mortal coil
I suppose they might remain as decoration for a while
It depends on the kind of apocalypse and if some underground centers will survive to it or not. We could even imagine a "superior caste" with electricity and scientific knowledge imposing its will to a mass of uncivilized descendants of the survivors. Furthermore, the loss of electricity would be a tremendous hit to our society, it would be like to go back to XIX century. Think to how electricity has changed the daily life of all of us.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
One of the main problems of a successor society is that all the easily accessible sources of fossile energy and minerals have been used up
it leave only leave much harder resources deposits , now only exploited with a great expenditure of energy and technology

It can then be presumed than the original easy sources will not be there
the successor society will have to do without synthetic fertilizers , electrical grid , modern vehicles or advanced manufacturing

a sustainable society would be about the 18th century level with a global population of about 1 billion people

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
One of the main problems of a successor society is that all the easily accessible sources of fossile energy and minerals have been used up
it leave only leave much harder resources deposits , now only exploited with a great expenditure of energy and technology

It can then be presumed than the original easy sources will not be there
the successor society will have to do without synthetic fertilizers , electrical grid , modern vehicles or advanced manufacturing

a sustainable society would be about the 18th century level with a global population of about 1 billion people
Perhaps the lack of easy ways out would spur innovation in the long term though!

(I'm feeling optimistic today)

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
Where is everything going to come from? Especially western countries are so interconnected, and so much of our infrastructure is essentially "outsourced" to other parts of the world...

It's interesting to think about which places are the most likely to remain more or less intact. North Korea maybe. Russia also. Japan? Maybe Switzerland, if they can survive the hordes that will no doubt push in from all directions...

Somehow I see Italy making it out of the apocalypse more or less unscathed. I just think they'll find a way.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
poor and backward is a valid survival strategy
small country town could manage
the 10 millions and above mega-cities would be death traps

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
poor and backward is a valid survival strategy
small country town could manage
the 10 millions and above mega-cities would be death traps
The Kalahari Bushmen and the Andaman Islanders will probably not notice. The millenial snowflakes will last as long as the toilets flush--which would be about two days.
Cannibalism could make a big comeback which might change the implication of going out for Chinese or making French toast.

Similar History Discussions