Winston Churchill- what do you reckon?

Mar 2009
England, Newcastle
Ive heard a lot of both positive and negative things about Churchill, maybe he was good in some aspects and not in others? Personally i think he's a legend, any other opinions? Elaboration appreciated :D

Nick

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2006
UK
On the one hand he was a brave soldier and great prime minister who led Britain to victory. On the other he was a toff, racist and imperialist.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
I've slotted him in with other historical giants & filed him under "C". Like all great historical figures he had bad moments in judgment & good ones; supporters & detractors. He did well for a person of such high birth & wealth. I was surprised that his mother was an American. Overall he was one of histories bright bulbs.

Mar 2009
England, Newcastle
Anybody know anything about his 2nd and 3rd ministries, did he achieve anything of note? (i think im right in saying he had 2 more) im just curious because whenever im quizzed about how good he was, all i can come up with is 'he won the war' which in itself isnt fully justifiable

Mar 2009
Ive heard a lot of both positive and negative things about Churchill, maybe he was good in some aspects and not in others? Personally i think he's a legend, any other opinions? Elaboration appreciated :D
On the one hand he was a brave soldier and great prime minister who led Britain to victory. On the other he was a toff, racist and imperialist.
I've slotted him in with other historical giants & filed him under "C". Like all great historical figures he had bad moments in judgment & good ones; supporters & detractors. He did well for a person of such high birth & wealth. I was surprised that his mother was an American. Overall he was one of histories bright bulbs.
Churchill was a great soul and a great man,yes,i believe he was a racist towards thee blacks but he never murdered like hitler did.
Churchill mother is American but he is British thruogh and thruogh. Alot of people have one parent from over seas,me included.

May 2009
England
I can't say that I'm an expert on Churchill but what I do know is that he was an interesting, intelligent, charismatic' Leader at an interesting point in history. I'm sure like most men he is nether wholly good or bad.

I have just finished listening to his "History of the English speaking people, the Birth of Britain" on Audio tape and found it very interesting and informative, even if some of his ideas are little bit dated.

May 2009
England
I would be interested to know what people thought about this statement.

"Churchill's status as a hero is mainly based on his great abilities as a writer and a orator"

Jun 2008
India
Wasn't Churchill a failure at school? When invited once to a university to give an opening speech he stepped forward and said 3 words that left the crowd dumbstruck 'NEVER GIVE UP'. Really though he was a gem of a leader, a man who comes (lemme see) around 5 times a century.

Mar 2009
England, Newcastle
I would be interested to know what people thought about this statement.

"Churchill's status as a hero is mainly based on his great abilities as a writer and a orator"
This is what i mean, because i can certainly find more flaws than pros when it comes to Churchill, i think im right in saying he played a major part in Gallipoli in ww1, which was a disaster, was this just a one off?

Mar 2009
This is what i mean, because i can certainly find more flaws than pros when it comes to Churchill, i think im right in saying he played a major part in Gallipoli in ww1, which was a disaster, was this just a one off?
I know Churchill is not perfect! He did drink alot and he was racist but he never tyred to wipe a race out unlike another person tryed to do during ww2.
If it was not for Churchill,all of us would be in a camp being slaves and to all thee girls on here,we;ll be s/x slaves!

Everyone has flaws but Churchill does not belong in hell like Hitler does.