Winston Churchill- what do you reckon?

Nov 2015
Bye, bye
SirOrmondeWinter;2962804]Again, you're saying nothing! We were the American people and we sure did bring civilization to the rest of the world.
:zany:
Historum members can appreciate your supremacist delirium, which I have been denouncing for many posts.
You have a big problem with history and you tell yourself a lot of stories.
What crime against humanity?
:eek:
Here too, I think Historum members can realize there's something wrong with you.
There were so many crimes and oppressions that unfortunately we have so many choices.
For example the Atlantic triangular slave trade or the massacre of aborigines in Australia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_trade#Atlantic_triangular_slave_trade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_of_Indigenous_Australians

Us suffering in a war the Boers declared against us? I'm not the crazy one, I think you qualify for that, what crimes, what oppression? What are you talking about?
yeah, yeah:zany:
"Originally, the concentration camps were intended to intern Boer families whose farms had been destroyed during the application of the "scorched earth policy" led by British troops. There were a total of 45 tent camps built to house these civilians as well as 64 others for blacks (farm boys, shepherds, etc.) who had lived with the Boers.

The Boers camps sheltered mainly elderly people, women and children for a total of about 120,000 people; 25,630 of them were deported abroad.
A post-war report estimated the number of Boer deaths at 27,927 (including 22,074 children under the age of 16) and 14,154 black deaths from starvation, disease and sun exposure. In all, about 25% of Boers and 12% of Blacks died (recent research suggests an underestimation of African casualties, which in fact amounted to about 20,000 victims).

Wives and children of combatant soldiers also received lower rations.
:sick:"

Here is the action of a British heroin who fought to denounce the crime of the British concentration camps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Hobhouse#Second_Anglo-Boer_War

The Afrikaners paid tribute to her by allowing her ashes to be placed in the monument that commemorates this terrible episode of British repression during the Second Boer War.

About this terrible photo showing Lizzie van Zyl, visited by Emily Hobhouse in the Bloemfontein concentration camp :
In fact it was the daughter of a Boer fighter on whom her British keepers were particularly relentless and who moved Emily Hoblouse a lot.
She starved to death.
LizzieVanZyl.jpg

South africans don't forget that:
https://af.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasionale_Vrouemonument
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Women%27s_Monument

We were the people who defeated the Nazis and Soviets and liberated the death camps and gulags, remember, the British, the good guys.
About this kind of delirium:zany: : They are quite pointless and out of step with the fact that I was writing to you that you were behaving like a Nazi or Soviet camp denier about the British camps.
We could also mention the British concentration camps in Kenya in the 1950s.

Manipulators?...
Yes you are, or at least a nationalist who use negationism.:relieved:

Last edited:
Dec 2014
autobahn
Again, you're saying nothing! We were the American people and we sure did bring civilization to the rest of the world.
What crime against humanity? Us suffering in a war the Boers declared against us? I'm not the crazy one, I think you qualify for that, what crimes, what oppression? What are you talking about? We were the people who defeated the Nazis and Soviets and liberated the death camps and gulags, remember, the British, the good guys.

Manipulators? You mean telling a truth you don't want to hear? There is no crime to deny, you're simply an anti-British bigot who is desperate to find fault with Britain but shrivels like a slug sprinkled with salt when people counter you with a dose of reality.
exactly what phil was saying. deny deny and everything is fine!

Nov 2008
England
June, , Cawnpore during the Indian Mutiny. The Nana Sahib, the chief rebel, in the city was fearful what would happen when General Havelock`s relief column reached the vicinity and discovered what had been the fate of the British men when they were leaving the city under the terms of truce after they had surrendered. It was decided to that rebel sepoys should shoot the women and children imprisoned in a house called the Bibighar. The sepoys refused, but on being threatened with death, they did fire their muskets ,but into the ceiling. It was at this point that a woman of the Nana`s household called , Hosainee Knanum, nicknamed the Begum, took charge. Two butchers and two other townspeople armed with scimitars were summoned and told to do what the sepoys had failed to do. An Eurasian named Fitchett was interviewed by the British some months afterwards, and here is his testimony:

"I heard fearful shrieks. This lasted half an hour or more. I did not see any of the women or children try to escape. A velatiee (foreigner - in this case Afghan), a stout short man, and fair, soon came out of the house with his sword broken. I saw him go in the Nana`s house and bring back another sword. This he also broke in a few minutes and got a third from the Nana.....the groans lasted all night."

Fitchett continues his story, telling how the next morning the bodies were dragged out of the house, some were stripped of their clothing if it was of use. A few of the women were still alive after that terrible night.

"Some of the women were alive, I cannot say how many, but three could speak; they prayed for the sake of God that an end to their sufferings."

The dead bodies were dragged to a nearby well and thrown into it.

"Application was made to the Nana about those who were alive. Three children were alive. I do not know what order came, but I saw one of the children thrown in alive. I believe the other children and women, who were alive, were also thrown in. They were fair children, the eldest must have been six or seven, and the youngest five years". It was the youngest who was thrown in by the sweepers (The sweepers were those ordered to try and clean up the bloody mess). The children were running roung the well, where else could they go to? and there was none to save them."

The Nana Sahib is in India today regarded as a national hero. If you go to Cawnpore today, and visit the area near that well, now level with the ground, look up and you will see the bust of the Nana Sahib gazing over what is now a peaceful scene where children play cricket.

Apr 2018
Mythical land.
Again, you're saying nothing! We were the American people and we sure did bring civilization to the rest of the world.
What crime against humanity? Us suffering in a war the Boers declared a.
There are five cradle of civilization,none american(american as in current america not mesoamerica) or even european. :D

Last edited:
Jun 2018
Tromso, norway
Have you seem that wonderful new movie about Churchill? I think they pinned down some of his contradictions
1. He was utterly and totally ruthless (Indian Famine, Dresden, Irish home rule, Gallipoli etc etc, take your pick)
2. He was a manic depressive alcoholic.
3. He was not evil, like Stalin & Hitler, but quite funny and sensible
4. He was just what Britain needed to match Hitler & Stalin.

I mean, in peacetime, Churchill would be a freak, but faced with such horrible opposition, there was a desparate need for his variety of man. Wallace made a point in evolution stating that in times of change or transition, each variety represents a strength of the species, a new possibility to adapt. I think Churchill illustrates this quite clearly.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions