without being politically correct do you believe that some cultures are better?

Jun 2015
UK
i admit i do. i have lived in the UK most of my life and i believe we are superior in many ways, not just the Empire which is long gone, but then we are more peaceful, more tolerant and more progressive scientifically. even some african countries are better than others, Nigeria is better overall (without challenges) than Sudan or the Congo, or Liberia. And Nigeria has had wars in hte past too, so this is no excuse.

Would the world be better without this politically correct attitude, and should we call a spade a spade more often?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I believe certain cultures or ways are superior. I do not say that certain people are, per se. Humans are human. I can live in an advanced culture and be a poor excuse of a person and vice-versa. One more point: I won't define what I consider superior, as what I consider a great culture and mores, another may not.

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
i admit i do. i have lived in the UK most of my life and i believe we are superior in many ways, not just the Empire which is long gone, but then we are more peaceful, more tolerant and more progressive scientifically. even some african countries are better than others, Nigeria is better overall (without challenges) than Sudan or the Congo, or Liberia. And Nigeria has had wars in hte past too, so this is no excuse.

Would the world be better without this politically correct attitude, and should we call a spade a spade more often?
I agree, some cultures are better - better because they are, in important ways, more politically correct - more tolerant, peaceful, reasonably egalitarian, (I'd add secular, though some may not agree), less racist, sexist, homophobic etc.

Maybe that's correct political correctness, while not daring to prefer the cultures that value such attitudes is the incorrect sort?

Feb 2015
washington
Its hard to say whether any one culture is better than another on the whole due to moral relativism. However certain cultures are better at certain things than others. For example Western cultures are far better at promoting equality for women, freedom of speech/thought, freedom of religion and economic development. Who is honestly going to argue that equality for women or freedom of speech isnt important? Just go ahead and try

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Germany has Mozart, et al.
Italy has Verdi and opera.
France has the plastic arts.
Britain has literature.
Russia has Shostakovich and the Mighty Hand.
The United States has wonderful electronic gadgets.
Impossible for me to make a choice from among the infinite.

The UK? Peaceful? We are a nuclear power, and we've spent the past 10 years backing up America's attempts to 'spread democracy' via the medium of bombs and bullets aimed at brown people. We also helped topple the Libyan government and are currently prolonging the war in Syria by supplying the rebels. Even if you believe these actions are justified, they are hardly 'peaceful'. Half of the wars in African countries are largely due to the British Empire, and many of those in the Middle East as well. Even on the home front we haven't been a shining example of peace and love, we had a militant insurgency which nearly killed our prime minister and did kill a member of our royal family, which was ongoing until very recently.

And we are relatively tolerant compared to Eastern or Southern Europe, but we did also vote for Brexit in large part due to xenophobia, and we lagged behind many other European nations in issues such as gay marriage. Not to mention the huge spike in violence against foreigners in recent weeks which have claimed several lives. We are far from the most liberal country in the world, we lag behind places like Scandinavia and Canada in terms of treatment of women and we are famous for our police state. Plus our left wing is in total disarray so the right will dominate politics for the forseeable future.

We are reasonably progressive as regards climate, education, science and religion (or lack of it), but that's somewhat coming apart at the seams with the attack on science and green energy being presided over by the Tories, and the 'post-factual' political culture in which scientific advisors are totally ignored, even by the left wing progressive SNP in the case of GM crops.

I think there are many countries in the world which have a more enviable culture and a more liberal, tolerant and peaceful society than the UK. The only part of British culture which I can truly be proud of is our level of protection of animal rights, second to none in the world except perhaps New Zealand and Switzerland.