Without Communism, is Russia likely to experience a suburban boom in the late 20th and 21st centuries like the US experienced?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Without Communism, is Russia likely to experience a suburban boom in the late 20th and 21st centuries like the US experienced? I'm asking about Russia specifically because, like the US, it has an enormous amount of space and is what one might refer to as a pioneer country and a pioneer society.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Jun 2017
maine
Without Communism as Russia practiced it, yes. The population is increasing, if only slightly, and people have to have a place to live.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Without Communism as Russia practiced it, yes. The population is increasing, if only slightly, and people have to have a place to live.
Russia's population was increasing more rapidly before 1989. Russia's birth rate and total fertility rate were higher back then.

Also, Russia would have had a much larger population right now without the effects of Communism and World War II.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
It's interesting to consider Russia's development had the November Revolution not occurred. First we would be taking about Russia, not the USSR. Given the economic recovery under the New Economic Plan (NEP) it's fair to say the the economy would have prospered during the 1920's but be harder hit by the Great Depression than it actually was. Also there's no reason why Russia would not still be invaded in WWII but relations with the West would have been better perhaps mitigating Russia's loses. There would be no Cold War and Russia would be a leading economic power with some kind of republican government. It's postwar landscape would be more European than American so it would rely more on rail than cars and be slower to suburbanize. but it would happen IMO.

Last edited:
Jan 2019
Eastern Europe
Without Communism, is Russia likely to experience a suburban boom in the late 20th and 21st centuries like the US experienced? I'm asking about Russia specifically because, like the US, it has an enormous amount of space and is what one might refer to as a pioneer country and a pioneer society.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?
I believe it would become even more backwards and underdeveloped than it was before. Could be one of the remaining monarchies. War with Germany would be even more devastating.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I believe it would become even more backwards and underdeveloped than it was before. Could be one of the remaining monarchies. War with Germany would be even more devastating.
The economic growth in the last quarter of the 19th century and during the NEP period (early 1920s) suggest otherwise. Of course if it remained an absolute monarchy or was taken over by a self serving dictator (quite possible since it seems to have happened) your prediction is more likely.:sick:

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist