Without Communism, is Russia likely to experience a suburban boom in the late 20th and 21st centuries like the US experienced?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
BTW, what screwed over Russia in 1941 was that France was already knocked out of the war. Is that still going to be the case in this scenario? After all, I certainly don't see a non-Bolshevik Russia signing an M-R-style pact with Germany.

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
Not according to Shirer who wrote that Germany lacked a big middle class "which in other nations was the backbone of democracy."

I don't know this gentleman, but i am fluent in German and I read the German historian. However it is truth that this middle class always hat to bow in front of the Prussian military cast.

It was said that "fascism was a doctrine for middle class failures, who were terrified of drifting back into the ranks of the proletariat."
Well, that is very basic sociology - in fact kitchen sociology. Plus fascist and nazi are nor really the same.

Reactions: Futurist

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
BTW, what screwed over Russia in 1941 was that France was already knocked out of the war.
Russia withstood Barbarossa albeit at high cost. In WWI Russia was beaten despite a western front all along. In WWII it gained the upper hand despite relatively little ground fighting in the west for three years.

After all, I certainly don't see a non-Bolshevik Russia signing an M-R-style pact with Germany.
To that point, in 1939, the nazis and communists hated one another, but pragmatism still won. In the likely event a democratic Russia was unprepared for war, tied down fighting Japan, or if the country was in the midst of a tsar vs reformers civil war, a nonaggression pact would've been even more advisable than it had been for Stalin. Even Churchill admitted it was "realistic in a high degree."

Reactions: Futurist