Without the US, the French (& British) would be speaking German

Jan 2020
cumberstone
"Without the US, the French and British would be speaking German"
What is your opinion about that very frequent and typical American forum comment under the documentary videos about WW1 & WW2?
Mod edit: Post 1991 political references removed. Social media references also removed.

Last edited:

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
What is your opinion about that very frequent and typical American forum comment under the documentary videos about WW1 & WW2?
Mod edit: Post 1991 political references removed. Social media references also removed.
Well, one should simply use the "ignore" function. I'd say that it's pure waste of time trying to bring to reason persons having that opinion: in my experience, no argument can change their mind.

Last edited:

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
It's a stupid thing to say. In the long run the French would've outwitted the Germans and the Germans were not capable of conquering Britain. And I think the Germans weren't going to last anyway, they were overreaching.

Apr 2012
The Netherlands
That statement hinges under the assumption that the German conquest would last and that the mess that was the Nazi regime wouldn't collapse when the already failing health of the Fuhrer gave in. Or that the Russian's wouldn't have defeated Germany either way.

It also hinges on an assumption that the Germans were a colonizing force which I don't entirely buy. If you were unlucky enough to be living in the Baltic or Poland than sure, but I don't believe Germany had the ambition of completely destroying the language and identity of nations such as France or the Netherlands. Puppet regimes with a continued German military presence seems the more reasonable outcome of a German victory.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
I think without the major powers involved on some level. Europe would probably be speaking Russian, or if we go back far enough Mongol, or if we go back far enough Latin

and then and then and then ............ad nauseam (see what I did there ) ;)

Jan 2020
cumberstone
That statement hinges under the assumption that the German conquest would last and that the mess that was the Nazi regime wouldn't collapse when the already failing health of the Fuhrer gave in. Or that the Russian's wouldn't have defeated Germany either way.

It also hinges on an assumption that the Germans were a colonizing force which I don't entirely buy. If you were unlucky enough to be living in the Baltic or Poland than sure, but I don't believe Germany had the ambition of completely destroying the language and identity of nations such as France or the Netherlands. Puppet regimes with a continued German military presence seems the more reasonable outcome of a German victory.
So do you think, that after German victory , Germany would built similar puppet satellite system what the soviets constructed in the Eastern block after WW2? There would be political indoctrination of Children in nazi influenced countries, beholden fascist leaders who are grateful for the German Führer for the existence of their regimes and their power in the satellite states etc.... There would been even annual nazi annual celebration of axis victory day (what the post WW2 Soviets had) where the Führer of Germany is sorrounded by the heads of states of their sattelite state leaders during the annual victory day etc...?

Last edited:
Jan 2020
cumberstone
No.

Because Germany lost everything (or Nazi signed their own death sentence, if You prefer) on 22 juin 1941.
But these commenters gave their answers: usually books about American technological and economical help for the Soviets, their leading role in the Western front and the devastating effect of their bomb raids on German industrial and transport systems.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
That the person who says it is an idiot who doesn't know basic history.

Or they are saying it for effect.

Reactions: Olleus and Gvelion

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
But these commenters gave their answers: usually books about American technological and economical help for the Soviets, their leading role in the Western front and the devastating effect of their bomb raids on German industrial and transport systems.
How about the fact that they only fought in WW2 after Japan attacked them and Germany declared war on them? Just like the Russian participation - heroic and essential but not voluntary.

Reactions: Futurist