Without WWII (but with WWI), which European monarchies were the most likely to get overthrown?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There was still the question of borders: just how big would this Croatian autonomous part be? Because HSS (Croatian Peasant Party, the biggest Croat party) wanted to expand it into Bosnia and parts of what is now Vojvodina. Thing is, Serb nationalists considered those regions part of Serb ethnic area and vehemently opposed giving them to the Croats. There was also the problem of a Serb minority living inside this Croatian part. They didn't want to be a part of it and made it clear to the government by drafting a number of resolutions on the matter. And you always had Serbs that resented any concessions to the Croats and you had Croats that wanted full independence.
Would the Croats have been willing to make a deal with the devil in this scenario? As in, get Italian support for Croatian independence in exchange for giving up Dalmatia to Italy.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The Ustaše did exactly that, tho their "state" was hardly independent. And you also had the risk of pissing off many Croatian nationalists who considered Dalmatia part of Croatia. Something like this happened in 1941, many Croats became disillusioned with the Ustaše after they conceded so much land to Italy.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
That's the thing, though--without Italian support, Croatian independence probably isn't going to become a reality. Of course, the Croats could ask for German support, but I don't think that the Germans are actually going to be willing to risk their reputation in Europe over this--especially when they are still hungry for Danzig and the Polish Corridor.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I agree. Independent Croatia just wasn't possible in the 1930s. Even if it happened in some way, it would be surrounded by expansionist Italy on one side and by rump Yugoslavia/Serbia on the other side. Plus it would also have to deal with its Serb minority that would have definitely opposed independent Croatia.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I don't see how it would have been possible for the Yugoslav monarchy to lose power in a part of Yugoslavia but not in the rest of Yugoslavia without secession.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I think someone more familiar with those countries can provide you with a better answer because a lot of it has to do with internal politics of a country and I am not really familiar with interwar internal politics of those countries.

Similar History Discussions