Women and voting in Rome

Aug 2019
USA
BTW, overuse of capitals for emphasis doesn’t enhance your point, it just makes it look like you are ranting.
May I suggest using your indoor voice if you want to be considered fairly.
There was no over use of capitals or ranting or yelling. You are being unreasonable. Must be cause I hit a nerve.

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
There was no over use of capitals or ranting or yelling. You are being unreasonable. Must be cause I hit a nerve.
Nope. I’ve been here far too long and I don’t have any nerves left.
See Chlodio’s comment above re sources. If you genuinely want debate on the issue you should adhere to the accepted protocols.

Aug 2019
USA
Nope. I’ve been here far too long and I don’t have any nerves left.
See Chlodio’s comment above re sources. If you genuinely want debate on the issue you should adhere to the accepted protocols.
If you say so. I already saw Chlodio's comment; I do I need you to point it out to me because I'm not blind nor a child. Yeah, sure. As soon as the men provide sources for their babbling first, okay?!

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
If you say so. I already saw Chlodio's comment; I do I need you to point it out to me because I'm not blind nor a child. Yeah, sure. As soon as the men provide sources for their babbling first, okay?!
I don't mind if you're a woman, a transgender, a man pretending to be a woman or an alien [not a Mexican!!!], this is a history forum and you should provide sources supporting your hypotheses. Better if you're able to quote directly sources in Latin or in Greek from the Roman Age. Thanks.

Nov 2018
Denmark
The entire world was NOT misogynistic. You were just taught MALE British and MALE British American distortion of what the entire world was. Cornelia Africana shared in the rule of her sons just like the Queen mother, Bathsheba, shared in the rule of Prophet-King Solomon. Fulvia ruled when her husband was away just like Queen regents (they rule when husband is away, or sick, or died and the son is to young to rule) did among the Israelites. Hephzibah was Queen regent among the Israelites. Queen of Sheba and Cleopatra were Queen regnants just like Athaliah and Esther were Queen regnant among the Israelites.
First, you cannot use women from the Bible as proof those women have had a role as ruler as it is a mythology book and not a history book.
Fulvia and Cornelia Africana were not rulers, but politically active because they were born into the ruling class. On their own, they would have been nothing.
The only one who ruled in her own right was Cleopatra.

Aug 2019
USA
I don't mind if you're a woman, a transgender, a man pretending to be a woman or an alien [not a Mexican!!!], this is a history forum and you should provide sources supporting your hypotheses. Better if you're able to quote directly sources in Latin or in Greek from the Roman Age. Thanks.
If you say so. No need to be so patronizing. Btw an alien is a foreigner; so yeah, a Mexican.

Aug 2019
USA
First, you cannot use women from the Bible as proof those women have had a role as ruler as it is a mythology book and not a history book.
Fulvia and Cornelia Africana were not rulers, but politically active because they were born into the ruling class. On their own, they would have been nothing.
The only one who ruled in her own right was Cleopatra.
You have no understanding of the Holy Bible or understanding of historical study. The Holy Bible has been used as a source for the history of Israelites and the historical Jesus, an Israelite. There is Israelite history recorded in the Holy Bible. Historical records of Mosaic Law are just as valid as historical records of the Code of Hammurabi, the Laws of Manu, and etc. If you are going to dismiss the Holy Bible as a historical record for Israelites because it mentions the'LORD, gods, and goddesses, then you need to dismiss other historical records that mention gods and goddesses (such as ancient Egyptian and ancient Indian (Hindu Law)). They were rulers; once again, MALE British and MALE British American distortion.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
You have no understanding of the Holy Bible or understanding of historical study. The Holy Bible has been used as a source for the history of Israelites and the historical Jesus, an Israelite. There is Israelite history recorded in the Holy Bible. Historical records of Mosaic Law are just as valid as historical records of the Code of Hammurabi, the Laws of Manu, and etc. If you are going to dismiss the Holy Bible as a historical record for Israelites because it mentions the'LORD, gods, and goddesses, then you need to dismiss other historical records that mention gods and goddesses (such as ancient Egyptian and ancient Indian (Hindu Law)). They were rulers; once again, MALE British and MALE British American distortion.
Enough. You are clearly here with an agenda and haven't bothered to read the rules.

You are suspended until we decide on a suitable sanction.

Nov 2018
Denmark
The Law of Moses is called so because the Jews believed that a person named Moses wrote it, not because there actually was a person named Moses.
And I reject the Bible as a historical source because it is not a history book, but mythology.
In line with, to stay on the subject of Rome, I do not believe that Romulus and Remus are historical persons though the Romans themselves believed it.
It is not because of my own efforts that I do not believe the two brothers existed, but because thorough historical research has shown that, they did not.
Scientists love to tear each other's theories apart, so if something is an outright lie, then it is revealed.
Posted by a non-British, non-American, non-male.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
The entire world was misogynistic. The above story has no basis in fact.
I dont think this is a fair statement

Probably more pragmatically, men and women were seen to have different roles... For example women were not required to do military service/fight in wars and this was a primary consideration for having the right to vote/have a voice in many societies.... I guess the thinking was 'if you are not ready to die for your city/country then why should have a say ?"