Women Only Train Cars

Status
Closed

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Only the references to the studies were in English, the studies themselves will be in Japanese.
Thank You.

(I suppose that will restrict my search: not sure 'okasa", "sayonara", "Pikachu" and "katana" will help me too much ... )

Oct 2009
Behind a screen
I believe though Japan, Egypt and all countries listed that do provide female only train car options to have a humane population in general. I was a bit surprised to see some of the countries listed that provide such a service such as Japan and Thailand. I have not been to Japan but my brother visited Japan, he mentioned nothing about mistreatment of ladies in Japan. Does anyone here have raw crime stats on Japan or even Egypt for example? Wrt sexual assault rates,, one wonders how countries with train car options for ladies compared to countries without such an option such as the USA. I actually meant a gal from Thailand last year and looking at her Instagram pics and learning from her in person about Thailand you get the sense Thailand is family friendly. I fully admit I would have assumed that the middle eastern countries would have such a policy due to religions reasons, but to that point Egypt for example says they have the option of female only train cars not due to some so called Sharia law but due to safety concerns.
You make rather big assumptions based on your brother visiting a country, an Instagram account and chatting with one person from a country.

Reactions: specul8

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
In countries such as Egypt and Japan, women only train car options have been introduced and part of the reason is because ladies have complained of being mistreated by men. The ladies have the option to ride in a womens only train car if they so choose. Iran has reportedly in 2016 launched a womens only train cars, and they claim its for the ladies safety. In the case of Egypt, Japan, and Iran the reason for such train cars being introduced has been due to safety concerns for ladies.

Cairo Journal; For Women Only: A Train Car Safe From Men

Women only cars in trains | Japan Experience

https://realiran.org/iran-is-launching-women-only-train-cars-on-tehran-mashhad-route/

What do folks feel of such a policy? We dont have women only train cars in the USA and in other countries.... but in Egypt and Japan they have such train cars. The NYC subway is also jampacked at times as Im sure other subways around the world such as in Japan can be, but again we do not have the women only option for train cars. So there are multiple ways of society addressing the issue, but how does one go about it. Personally I feel conflicted, crime is unacceptable and a lady should be able to travel on a train safely. Otoh what of equality among man? Is this a case of forced segregation by some countries having these trains that separate sexes? Of course its an option for the ladies to ride the Women only train cars, but the issue of course lay in the fact men can not ride on those women only train cars in Japan and Egypt. And the fact that crime occurs everywhere, is it worth it to have such womens only train cars operating in our world is that righteous?
Dont tell me you think that the socities that have problems with men attacking and molesting women should not make laws to help control that because they might not be ..... ' righteous ' !

:rolleyes:

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
So long as one also provides an equivalent number of male-only cars, and also left at least some cars mixed so as to ensure no seats ended up going to waste, it is no more of a problem than having segregated bathrooms. Providing male-only cars as well would serve two purposes:

1) Ensuring equal overall access to seating. That seems like an obvious point of fairness.

2) Providing recourse to men who simply want to avoid the obvious and seemingly ever-increasing complications of sharing public space with females in the modern era. For example, men in public at times feel there is an expectation that they comport themselves to make the females around them feel comfortable, and sitting in a male-only car would eliminate any such concern. Likewise, in a place like public transportation where people are often moving in a somewhat crowded space, incidental physical contact sometimes occurs, and male-only cars would allow men to travel without much concern as to whether such incidental physical contact might be construed as sexual harassment in some way. Finally, although I'm not certain how common this sentiment is, I find that women not uncommonly slather themselves in repulsive perfumes and scents, and being able to escape such unnatural scents might have some allure for some individuals (men also at times do wear scents as well, though in my experience they are much less offensive to me in the rare case I encounter them, and in any case, it's rare enough that I've never felt the need to avoid it).

Just from a perspective of psychological ease, it seems like a fine idea so long as it's implemented in a genuinely equal fashion. On the other hand, if it's not implemented in a genuinely equal fashion, then there seems cause enough for complaint. This is a problem, for example, with "women only parking spaces." It is understandable that politicians and businesses might want to take the views and concerns of women into account -- understandable and even reasonable, since that is part of the point of representative politics in the first place -- yet when one takes the views and concerns of one group into account at the obvious and deliberate expense of another, then one had best have a very good reason to do that. In these cases, no such reason exists, as it is possible to pursue the objective in question while still maintaining parity.

In short, providing the option of sex-specific seating in public transportation is in principle unproblematic, so long as it remains an option (i.e. that mixed seating remains available) and said option is afforded to both sexes equally.

Great Idea ! Separate men's carriage !

1563315272897.png

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
You make rather big assumptions based on your brother visiting a country, an Instagram account and chatting with one person from a country.
Thats an overlook of the issue at hand my friend. What you quote is a very small part of this thread. My honest personal view is that May equality among man prevail. Its a shame and affront to dignity for any society to separate men and women in trains. It has already been shown in NYC trains are totally jam packed, I have rode them, I have the experience as do masses of Americans. We dont have to separate train cars in The USA though because the civil world at large knows crime is a world issue and such separation of sexes on train cars does not help. Its nonsense what the Japanese, Iranian and Israeli gov engage in for they attack humanity with there inhumane laws such as separating sexes on train cars. The masses of Asian people want equality and yet the Japanese Gov has this very unfortunate policy of separating sexes on train cars.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Dont tell me you think that the socities that have problems with men attacking and molesting women should not make laws to help control that because they might not be ..... ' righteous ' !

:rolleyes:
Like others itt I am adamant for equality among man, equality among men and women. Have you been to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, NYC? I have. We have some of the busiest trains in the USA, so its no excuse at all to separate sexes on trains, that serves as a opponent of freedom and dignity.

Nov 2018
Denmark
Like others itt I am adamant for equality among man, equality among men and women. Have you been to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, NYC? I have. We have some of the busiest trains in the USA, so its no excuse at all to separate sexes on trains, that serves as a opponent of freedom and dignity.
It has nothing to do with how many or few are on the train.
But the mentality that a woman on her own must be either a whore or free prey.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Many airlines have a policy that unaccompanied children, especially girls, do not site next to single men.

Is that discriminatory too?

Nov 2018
Denmark
Many airlines have a policy that unaccompanied children, especially girls, do not site next to single men.

Is that discriminatory too?
In Denmark, it is estimated that between 10-30 % of sexual abuse against children is committed by women.
The exact number is not known as men feel even more shame than women do over what has been done to them.
By the way most of the abuses are committed by people the children already know,
So throwing suspicion on completely innocent men is actually pretty rude.
In Denmark, you can send your children with the train on selected departures where there is a guide who supervises them.
Why not do the same on airplanes?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
In Denmark, it is estimated that between 10-30 % of sexual abuse against children is committed by women.
The exact number is not known as men feel even more shame than women do over what has been done to them.
By the way most of the abuses are committed by people the children already know,
So throwing suspicion on completely innocent men is actually pretty rude.
In Denmark, you can send your children with the train on selected departures where there is a guide who supervises them.
Why not do the same on airplanes?
I would conjecture that the kind of sexual abuse carried out by women is rather different to that done by men. Most (but of course, not all) of it involves older women having "consensual" (although a child cannot give consent) with teenage boys, who are children under the law. In this context, a 21 year old teacher sleeping with a 15 year old student is child abuse.

But most opportunistic molestation, I suspect, is carried out by men.

Yes, it's insulting to say to someone "we're not going to let a child sit next to you in case you are a pervert", but perhaps it's better to hurt someone's feelings than find out later he actually IS a pervert.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/06/20/this-was-30-minutes-of-hell-for-this-young-lady-unaccompanied-minor-groped-on-flight/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a67985e68cfe

Reactions: specul8
Status
Closed